Department: Facilities and Grounds Supervisor: Grounds and Security Supervisor
FLSA Salary Classification: Non-Exempt, Full-time, Part-Time, On Call, Seasonal
Availability: Ability to work a flexible schedule including nights, weekends and holiday hours. The actual schedule will be based upon department and organizational needs.
Performs the Garden’s daily grounds maintenance in order to provide a safe, healthy,
and effective environment that reflects the standards of operation of the organization.
Performs Garden opening and/or closing responsibilities on a rotating schedule.
Adheres to policies, procedures and systems that support the overall mission and
strategies of the organization through maintaining the grounds, assets, support systems
and physical appearance of the Garden in an exceptional manner.
• Works independently and with other department staff to perform basic grounds
maintenance tasks, which may include; trash pickup, parking, clearing pathways, opening
and closing activities, etc.
• Assists with support of Grounds Security by checking and securing buildings, gates,
structures, and Garden property.
• Supports strategies to manage usage of energy, water and other resources impacting the
environment in a manner that aligns with public garden conservation and sustainability
• Participates in and supports the usage of automated systems needed for records
management related to Grounds work orders, equipment, specifications and supplies
• Provides day to day support of outdoor Garden activities needs related to grounds usage,
venues, equipment, trash removal, and security.
• Performs grounds repair services including, exhibit installation, visitor amenities and
directional signage, structural maintenance, pathway repairs, and guest experience
enhancements (i.e., water features, train).
• Works with volunteer resources applicable to the functions of Grounds activities.
• Assists in providing a safe and accessible workplace is maintained in compliance with OSHA, ADA and all other regulatory requirements. Follows best practices that may contribute to the Garden’s safety and wellness.
• Works collaboratively with members of the facilities and grounds department as well other
departments to support both the goals of the department as well as the entire organization.
• May occasionally perform duties of Facility Maintenance Assistant
• Other duties as assigned.
High School Diploma or G.E.D. required. Some knowledge of general maintenance disciplines
required. Previous experience in general maintenance, repair, construction, or other hands on technical field or preferred. Experience in a complex environment of multi-building campus serving a public 7-day a week operation is a plus. Must possess a valid driver’s license, which is subject to insurability and an annual Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) report.
Exemplify Core Values. Strong interpersonal communication skills. Ability to work under pressure and with frequent interruptions. A self-starter who is skilled at problem solving and the ability to identify issues, and consider multiple solutions. Maintains high standards and demonstrates a strong attention to detail.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
• Physical Demands: Requires a significant level of physical activity: lifting and carrying (up to
100 lbs.), significant amount of walking over varied terrain, and traveling by vehicles. Sense
of vision in the normal range with or without correction. Sense of touch and the ability to
wear Personal Protective Equipment required.
• Work Environment: Garden grounds and office environment. Work is performed indoors
and outdoors, in all weather conditions.
• Equipment: General office equipment, two-way radio, multiple types of vehicles and
trailers, equipment including but not limited to; mini excavator, skid loader, tractors and
implements, utility vehicles, blowers, etc) general repair shop equipment and tools.
Job descriptions are guidelines that attempt to characterize major duties and responsibilities of employees, and are subject to change as needs and programs change. At Huntsville Botanical Garden they are considered neither inclusive nor exclusive. It is expected that up to 20% of your duties may change annually
Huntsville Botanical Garden Website: https://hsvbg.org/employment-opportunities/
How to Apply: Download and complete Application, attach cover letter and resume
To apply please submit application, your cover letter and resume as follows:
Fax: (256) 830-5314
Mail: Huntsville Botanical Garden,
4747 Bob Wallace Ave.,
Huntsville, AL 35805
***All applications submitted must indicate the name of the position for which you are applying as well as your recent salary history and requirements. ***