Department: Facilities and Grounds Supervisor: Director of Facilities and Grounds
Supervises: Facility and Maintenance Personnel
FLSA Salary Classification: Non-Exempt, Full-time
Availability: Ability to work a flexible schedule including nights, weekends and holiday hours. The actual schedule will be based upon organizational needs.
Supervises the Garden’s daily facility operations and services including building
maintenance, janitorial services, outside facility contractors/ service providers, safety
/security systems, facility setup/support, and program support services in order to
provide a safe, healthy, and effective environment that reflects the standards of
operation of the organization. Provides input and expertise to the Director of Facilities
and Grounds to assist in forecasting the financial, labor and systems resources needed
to support the scope of Facilities and Grounds operations. Adheres to policies,
procedures and systems that support the overall mission and strategies of the
organization through maintaining the facilities, assets, support systems and physical
appearance of the Garden in an exceptional manner. Actively participates in
organization initiatives, collaborating with other Managers and key staff in support of
strategic objectives, special projects, and program support.
• Works closely with the Director of Facilities and Grounds to insure the maintenance of the
Garden’s buildings, structures, equipment, incorporating both a responsive repair and
preventive maintenance approach that details an ongoing, actionable plan. Supervises the
resources or directly performs regular, documented inspections to identify repairs and
• Supervises personnel involved with the Facilities, insuring schedules and work priorities are
defined effectively. Insures assessment of overall work quality and progress. Insures
ongoing collaboration and effective communication is maintained across all areas of the
organization that is supported by the resources of the department.
• Oversees and develops relationships with 3rd party service providers determined to provide the most cost-effective and efficient services related to operational services and systems.
• Supports strategies to manage usage of energy, water and other resources impacting the
environment in a manner that aligns with public garden conservation and sustainability
• Provides input for and works within budgets and multi-year forecasts
• Participates in and supports the usage of automated systems needed for records
management related to work orders, furniture, equipment, specifications and supplies
• Participates in the planning and insures oversight of building projects performed by outside contractors.
• Schedules, monitors and supports on-site visits for city and state safety compliance
inspections as well as tracking and scheduling needed outside services to ensure the
Garden’s facilities stay in compliance with all government and industry standard safety
• Supports staff and volunteer needs related to workspace, phone, computer, and technology systems.
• Provides day to day support and management related to the full range of indoor Garden
activities, venues, AV and technology systems, furniture and equipment and janitorial
• Assists in providing a safe and accessible workplace is maintained in compliance with OSHA, ADA and all other regulatory requirements.
• Works collaboratively with members of the facilities and grounds department as well other
departments to support both the goals of the department as well as the entire organization.
• May occasionally perform duties of Grounds and Security Supervisor
• Other duties as assigned.
Associates degree in Facilities Management, Industrial Maintenance or related technical field
required, or commensurate extensive hands-on facilities or operations management experience. 2+ years of previous experience in logistics, facilities, equipment, or operations services development and management required. Supervisory experience required. Experience in a complex environment of multi-building campus serving a public 7-day a week operation preferred. Strong knowledge of general maintenance disciplines with demonstrated experience in coordinating logistics and services required for provide full-service support. Practical, hand-on experience with a variety of the support services under the scope of the position’s responsibilities including safely operating job related equipment and tools, including their care and maintenance. Professional certification in Facilities Management (CFM) Electrical, Plumbing, Wiring Methods or other related trades are a plus. Must possess a valid driver’s license, which is subject to insurability and an annual Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) report. Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, with emphasis on Word and spreadsheets.
Exemplify Core Values and model them for staff and volunteers. Strong written and verbal
communication skills. Ability to work under pressure and to meet multiple deadlines with frequent interruptions. A self-starter who excels at problem solving and the ability to identify issues, and consider multiple solutions. Maintains high standards and effective communications of the performance expectation for departmental staff. Enthusiastic learner who demonstrates a strong attention to esthetics detail. Ability to organize and delegate work, create schedules, and problem solve. Decision making skills, time management skills and the ability to prioritize. Physical ability to routinely survey the facilities.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
• Physical Demands: Requires a significant level of physical activity: lifting and carrying (up to
100 lbs.), significant amount of walking over varied terrain, and traveling by vehicles. Some
travel required. Sense of vision in the normal range with or without correction. Sense of
touch and the ability to wear Personal Protective Equipment required.
• Work Environment: Office environment and Garden grounds. Work is performed indoors
and outdoors, in all weather conditions.
• Equipment: General office equipment, two-way radio, multiple types of vehicles, multiple
types/formats of AV equipment, building and repair equipment.
Job descriptions are guidelines that attempt to characterize major duties and responsibilities of employees, and are subject to change as needs and programs change. At Huntsville Botanical Garden they are considered neither inclusive nor exclusive. It is expected that up to 20% of your duties may change annually.
Huntsville Botanical Garden Website: https://hsvbg.org/employment-opportunities/
How to Apply: Download and complete Application for Employment, attach cover letter and resume then submit as follows:
Fax: (256) 830-5314
Mail: Huntsville Botanical Garden,
4747 Bob Wallace Ave.,
Huntsville, AL 35805
***All applications submitted must indicate the name of the position for which you are applying as well as your recent salary history and requirements. ***