Department: Marketing and Communications
Supervisor: Director of Communications and Special Projects
FLSA Salary Classification: Non-Exempt, Full-time
Availability: Regular business hours on weekdays with occasional extended work hours, evenings, and weekends.
The Executive Office and Communications Assistant plays a critical role in supporting the strategic communications of the Huntsville Botanical Garden. By providing administrative support for the Office of the CEO and the Marketing and Communications department, this professional communicator ensures the timely completion of daily tasks, project-based activities, and internal and external correspondence. In this way, the Executive Office and Communications Assistant helps facilitate the ongoing progress of the Garden’s mission-oriented initiatives. A successful candidate will be a highly professional, detail-oriented individual who thrives in a dynamic and collaborative work environment.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Handle the administrative tasks of the Office of the CEO, including scheduling, correspondence, paperwork, and other miscellaneous tasks as assigned.
• Coordinate virtual, on-site, and off-site meetings for the CEO.
• Manage the administration and meeting coordination of the Huntsville Botanical Garden Board of Directors, Advisory Board, and Foundation Board, including planning and executing the logistics of regularly scheduled meetings, recording meeting minutes, executing appropriate communications, tracking the completion of action items, and maintaining accurate records.
• Support the day-to-day operations and projects of the Marketing and Communications department. Activities may include (but are not limited to) administrative tasks, coordination with cross-departmental teams, copywriting and/or copyediting, and distribution of internal communications.
• Other duties as assigned.
APPROXIMATE DIVISION OF WORKLOAD: 65% Office of the CEO and Board of Directors support, 35% Marketing and Communications departmental tasks
• Exemplifies the Garden’s Core Values
• Demonstrates an earnest appreciation for the mission and work of the Garden
• Works with a collaborative style and strong service mentality
• Espouses a growth mindset and a willingness to learn, be curious, and embrace new challenges
• Strives for innovation and creativity with an appreciation for positive change
• Brings a positive attitude and strong work ethic to all tasks and activities
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT: The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
• Physical Demands: Requires some physical activity, including limited carrying and lifting up to 25 lbs., working in all weather conditions during special events and programs, and walking on uneven terrain. Some local travel.
• Work Environment: Fast-paced office and garden environment. Work is primarily performed indoors with occasional outdoor work for special events and programs.
• Equipment: General office equipment and basic computer software such as email, Microsoft Office, and database tools.
Job descriptions are guidelines that attempt to characterize major duties and responsibilities of employees, and are subject to change as needs and programs change. At the Huntsville Botanical Garden, job descriptions are considered neither inclusive nor exclusive. It is expected that up to 20% of your duties may change annually.
• Four-year degree or equivalent training in public relations, communications, marketing, or related field required
• 1-2 years professional experience in top- or middle-level management administration, public relations, communications, or similar experience preferred
• Experience in event management or meeting planning preferred
• Strong computer skills (including Microsoft Office and database applications) and knowledge of basic business principles
• Excellent writing skills with the ability to adapt written communication for a wide range of contexts and audiences, resulting in high-quality and accurate documents and correspondence
• Excellent verbal communication with the ability to speak clearly, assertively, and respectfully at all times
• High levels of professionalism, discretion, and emotional intelligence with the ability to act and communicate with integrity, tact, and composure at all times
• Strong time management skills with the ability to continually adapt to changing circumstances and effectively prioritize many simultaneous tasks
• Outstanding organizational skills and attention to detail
• Ability to work independently and take initiative
• Ability to work successfully with collaborators of varying backgrounds, beliefs, and perspectives to achieve shared objectives
• Sound judgement and creative problem-solving skills with the ability to respond calmly and effectively in high-pressure situations
How to Apply:
Please visit the Huntsville Botanical Garden Website https://hsvbg.org/employment-opportunities/ and complete an application for employment. Submit employment application, cover letter and resume as follows:
***All applications submitted must indicate the name of the position for which you are applying as well as your recent salary history and requirements. ***