The mission of the Houston Botanic Garden is to enrich life through discovery, education, and conservation of plants and the natural environment. HBG is a recently completed botanic garden that strives to inspire all people to love plants and be good stewards of the natural world. The gardens include a global garden with arid, sub-tropical, and tropical plants; a culinary garden with permanent and seasonal displays; a family garden centered around a lagoon; a woodland event garden; wetlands; and a coastal prairie on a 132-acre site.
The Houston Botanic Garden is seeking a Director of Operations to lead the operational systems and oversee the facilities. The Director will work in close collaboration with the entire HBG team and report directly to the President.
The ideal candidate is passionate about HBG’s mission, entrepreneurial, organized, and strategic, with a strong visitor/customer focus. Houston Botanic Garden is building a team of professionals who enjoy working in a dynamic and growing organization.
Schedule and Salary:
- Compensation commensurate with experience
- Full-time, exempt position
- Available on weekends and holidays as needed
Benefits: Medical, dental, and vision insurance, retirement savings match, short term disability, long term disability, and life insurance available.
Main Job Responsibilities:
- Oversee retail operations
- Oversee maintenance of, improvements to, and security of all indoor space and non-plants-focused outdoor spaces
- Responsible for maintenance of office equipment and management of office and building supplies
- Ensure effective and efficient IT service and usage
- Oversee outside contractors, including IT, and supplies vendors
- Lead visitor services team, prioritizing visitor satisfaction
Qualifications and Experience Requirements:
- Demonstrated success in operations or facilities management
- Flexibility, ability to prioritize and juggle multiple projects in a start-up environment
- Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail and accuracy
- Desire to be a part of a team and able to work collaboratively
- Integrity and highest standards of ethics and professionalism
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university required
- Minimum of five to ten years relevant experience
- Nonprofit experience a plus
Application Procedure: Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume and three references to email@example.com. We will contact those candidates who most closely match our requirements. Employment is subject to passing a background check.