The Houston Botanic Garden is seeking an Assistant Horticulturist who will be an important member of the horticulture team and will be responsible for assisting the team in innovative horticulture maintenance. Under the overall guidance of the Director of Horticulture, the Assistant Horticulturist will report to the Horticulture Manager for general work coordination and daily assignments. The ideal candidate is an energetic gardener interested in hands-on projects in all of our gardens – Susan Garver Family Discovery Garden, Global Collection Garden, and Culinary Garden – and natural ecosystems, including Stormwater Wetlands and a Coastal Prairie. This multi-faceted position will also involve assisting with preparation for volunteer horticulture workdays, plant labeling, and education programs.
Benefits: Medical, dental, and vision insurance; retirement savings match; short-term disability; long-term disability; and life insurance available.
Main Job Responsibilities:
• Work hands-on in cultivated gardens and stewardship of natural ecosystems. Task may include: weeding, planting pruning, mulching, watering, staking, dividing and transplanting plants, path maintenance, mowing, fertilizing, pest and disease control, and removal of invasive plant species on HBG grounds.
• Operate equipment and tools to efficiently accomplish work, including but not limited to mowers, pruners, loppers, weed eaters, chain-saws, blowers, etc.
• Participate in plant documentation through plant labeling tasks and notification of additions or removals of plants in the garden.
• Assist with implementing innovative garden design.
• Support volunteer coordination for horticulture tasks.
• Assist in garden education programs, including giving garden tours and talks.
Qualifications and Experience Requirements:
• Associate’s degree in horticulture, forestry, ecology, plant science, or a related field; 1-2 years’ hands-on experience in the horticulture industry or related field may substitute for degree.
• Demonstrated horticulture experience through education and hands-on field work.
• Ability and willingness to perform hands-on gardening work in all types of weather typical in Houston.
• Experience and confidence in operating horticulture equipment and machines.
• Ability and willingness to work flexible hours including evenings, weekends, holidays and special events, as needed.
• Position subject to passing a criminal background check.
• HBG Horticulture has a 7 day a week schedule and at least one weekend work day will be required (Saturday or Sunday).
This position requires physical work; frequent standing, bending, kneeling, stooping, crouching, reaching, carrying, lifting, pushing, or pulling of objects up to 80 pounds.
Ideal Candidates will also possess:
• Bachelor’s degree in horticulture, forestry, ecology, plant science, or a related field.
• Ability to be flexible and thrive in a dynamic garden setting.
• Demonstrated passion for plants and the natural environment.
• Ability to work cooperatively and effectively with others.
• Positive, can-do attitude and willingness to "roll up sleeves."
Application Procedure: Interested candidates should send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. We will contact those candidates who most closely match our requirements.
Thank you for your interest!