Holden Forests & Gardens is one of Northeast Ohio’s largest and most important cultural and environmental institutions. It is comprised of two campuses, the urban Cleveland Botanical Garden campus located in Cleveland’s University Circle and the rural Holden Arboretum campus located in Kirtland.
We are seeking Tree Corps Crew Members to participate in the newly designed Tree Corps program. Tree Corps is a paid job experience that offers exposure to and training in tree-care and related (horticulture, natural resources) careers for Cleveland-area residents. The Tree Corps Crew spends 8 weeks learning key arboriculture skills, engaging in field experiences, and working on tree and land care related to the Cleveland Tree Plan.
• Arrive on time with proper attire (such as long pants, closed-toed shoes, weather appropriate layers etc).
• Learn and work effectively and cooperatively with other men and women in the Tree Corps Crew.
• Attend and engage in all arboriculture trainings, whether in a classroom or an outside setting.
• Plant, prune, mulch, and care for trees in the urban, suburban, and rural setting.
• Occasionally work with volunteers in tree care projects.
• Maintain a clean and organized work area and provide proper and safe care for all tools.
• Interact with residents, business owners, or tree care industry companies in a professional manner as opportunities arise.
• Provide top quality tree care work with the knowledge gained and ask for support when a task is beyond expertise or ability.
• Follow and enforce all safety guidelines.
• Assist in special tree-related projects as requested.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Must be 18 or older and a resident of Cleveland.
• Ability to work a Tuesday through Friday, 8:30 am – 4:30 pm schedule with occasional weekends for tree care events and dates given with notice.
• Reliable daily transportation to work (crew members will meet at Cleveland Botanical Garden and travel to job-sites off-campus in Tree Corps vehicle as needed).
• Must be willing to work outside in all weather conditions including rain, snow, and high heat.
• Must be able to provide two professional references preferably from prior work experiences, submitted with application.
• Must be able to pass a background check and drug screen.
• Must be able to set up a direct deposit account.
• Have a strong interest in trees and tree care and a strong desire to gain an understanding of topics including Tree ID, Tree Health, Tree Anatomy and Biology, Proper Pruning, Pests and Diseases, Soils, Forest Ecology, Urban Forestry etc.
• Must be hard-working, committed, and conscientious with a positive attitude.
• Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment.
• Ability to interact positively and effectively with staff, volunteers, visitors, and guests
• Must pass a criminal background and substance test
• Must have a driving record in good standing
• Must be able work a flexible schedule including some nights and weekends
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Qualified applicants should submit a résumé with salary requirements online to:
Holden Forests & Gardens is an equal opportunity, ADA employer and a drug-free workplace