Holden Forests & Gardens is one of Northeast Ohio’s largest and most important cultural and environmental institutions. It is comprised of two campuses, the urban Cleveland Botanical Garden campus located in Cleveland’s University Circle and the rural Holden Arboretum campus located in Kirtland.
We are seeking a Hershey Children’s Garden Manager to join our team. Located at the Cleveland Botanical Garden campus, the HCG Manager is primarily responsible for the horticultural, structural, and educational features and programming of the Hershey Children’s Garden (HCG).
• Manage all HCG horticultural operations including design, planning, planting, watering, fertilizing, pruning, mulching, and other related tasks.
• Maintain all garden areas to include; structures, plantings, water features, displays and all other program elements.
• Coordinate with Facilities and Horticulture for design, installation and maintenance issues.
• Plan and implement temporary, seasonal and permanent changes to the HCG, including educational areas, play spaces, design and interpretive elements, landscapes and decorative displays.
• Manage HCG spring, summer and fall educational programs including creation, coordination, implementation and evaluation.
• Create content for HCG print information and HCG webpage.
• Oversee and maintain the onsite Honey Bee hive and associated programming.
• Develop program budget and ensure that approved budget allocations are monitored and managed effectively.
• Manage seasonal/intern staff for HCG. Responsible for career enhancement, including child development, nature play, education, horticulture, plant biology and program development.
• In cooperation with Volunteer Manager, train, schedule and supervise HCG volunteers.
• Evaluate HCG programs and their effectiveness.
• Generate reports, summaries and recommendations to ensure program quality and to assist with future program planning.
• Assist with other Education department and organizational functions as required.
• Seek professional development opportunities to stay current in the field.
• BA/BS in education, horticulture, biology, natural sciences or related field
• Teaching experience with a particular focus on early childhood and youth
• Horticulture/gardening experience preferred
• Two years’ experience in formal or informal education or equivalent setting; or equivalent combination of education and experience
• Experience and enthusiasm for engaging the public
• Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
• Must pass a criminal background and substance test
• Must have a driving record in good standing
• Must be able work a flexible schedule including some nights and weekends
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Qualified applicants should submit a résumé with salary requirements online to:
Holden Forests & Gardens is an equal opportunity, ADA employer and a drug-free workplace