A working supervisory position that oversees, directs, and administer landscape-related horticulture functions at Historic London Town and Gardens. The Landscape Manager works closely with volunteers and other horticulture staff. This position reports directly to the Director of Horticulture.
Must be willing to work independently or as part of a team in a variety of weather
Summers are hot and humid with exposure to biting insects and irritant plants i.e. poison ivy
This full-time position consists almost entirely of outdoor work, barring extreme temperatures or weather events
This is a 35-hour per week position usually consisting of five, 7-hour days. For the months of April through October, this position will usually work Tuesday through Saturday. The work day will start between 7:00 and 8:30am (depending on the time of year and site needs). For the months of November through March, this position will usually work Monday through Friday. At certain points during the year this position will work 40 or so hours in a week.
The position starts at $15 per hour.
It is considered a full-time position and is eligible for the following benefits:
- Retirement plan and Foundation match
- Foundation-paid flexible spending account
- Ability to buy into the Foundation’s group health insurance and supplementary insurance plans
- 10 days of accrued annual and 7 days of personal leave each year plus paid holidays
- Provide general maintenance of grounds and basic care of the gardens including: mowing; trimming hedges; watering lawns, trees, flowers, and potted plants; rake, weed, and edge lawns; grade and prepare base for laying sod and seed; prune shrubs, perennials, and flowers.
- Oversee and administer contracts for external landscape-related companies and contractors (mowing, irrigation, pest control, seasonal mulching, leaf clean-up, etc.)
- Assist with general clean-up operations including: snow removal; remove leaves, sticks, and other debris from grounds; clear sidewalks, parking lots, gutters, and catch basins.
- Operate small and large mechanical equipment used for grounds maintenance/general labor operations including: push and riding mowers, tillers, string trimmers, and blowers.
- Supervise other horticulture staff and volunteers as necessary for projects and daily needs.
- Perform general labor tasks of moderate to heavy nature as assigned by supervisor.
- Responsible for maintaining work area and performing job duties in a manner which complies with federal, state, and London Town safety policies.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Horticulture.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Minimum of two years previous hands-on experience in maintaining landscapes (preferred if at a public garden, but not required)
- Ability to operate small to large power equipment (i.e. tractor, chainsaw, front-end loader, backpack sprayer, lawn equipment)
- Experience in basic plant identification and the use of herbicides
- Current pesticide applicators license or the ability to obtain within six months of hire date
- Valid drivers’ license
Please email the following to email@example.com
- Letter of interest in the position (can be in body of email)
- Current resume
- Three professional references