- Administrative & Finance
- Volunteers/Volunteer Management
Historic Fair Hill is a nonprofit that stewards a 5 acre site, supports community revitalization projects, and serves as a school partner in the School District of Philadelphia. We are seeking a passionate and community-driven director to promote green spaces and to manage and coordinate programming at our historic Quaker burial ground and arboretum in Fairhill, North Philadelphia.
The peacemaking green space serves as an outdoor classroom with trips related to environmental education, women's rights history, and the abolition of slavery. GROW Healthy is Historic Fair Hill’s community gardening, greening, and fresh food initiative. The program includes 3 community gardens, 2 school gardens, a summer intern program, a seasonal farm stand, health & wellness workshops, tree planting, and a variety of educational and celebratory community events.
This is a new position, building off of the great work that part time staff and volunteers have done. It is an opportunity to strengthen an established program and make it more sustainable. The Green Space Director will report to the Executive Director and for the first several months will be supported by our master gardener, who has been managing the grounds.
This is a year round position with a salary range of $45,000 - $50,000 depending on
experience. Hours are flexible, depending on season and programming, with the ability to work some hours remotely.
- Manage burial ground, arboretum, and gardens
- Work alongside seasonal gardeners
- Supervise and coach garden staff
- Work with contractors and partner organizations
- Recruit, train, and manage volunteers and service groups
- Track data regarding tasks, planting schedules, food distribution, etc.
- Foster outdoor education curriculum and wellness programming
- Create a welcoming and inclusive environment
- Be responsive to needs and interests of neighbors
- Collaborate with leadership team and grounds committee
- 3-5 years experience with landscape management and gardening work
- Experience supervising/coaching staff and volunteers
- Ability to work independently
- Experience working with children
- Ability to use Google Workspace
- Belief in the mission to share green spaces with neighbors
- Comfortable communicating in Spanish and English
- Ability to lift 25 pounds
Send a resume and cover letter that includes your interest to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line GREEN SPACE DIRECTOR.