High Glen Gardens is a private, 64-acre, newly-developed estate in Frederick, MD with approximately 10 cultivated acres of formal gardens, including a perennial border, rose garden, annual beds, greenhouse, Japanese garden, Mediterranean garden, English cottage garden, and extensive perimeter plantings. In 2014, High Glen Gardens began the implementation of a new master plan that guides our development. Elements of this master plan include a Grand Allee of red maples and bur oaks, unique earth sculptures, a natural wetland and bridge, and an ongoing reforestation project.
We are seeking an experienced, highly qualified Garden Manager.
This will be a full-time, year-round position with competitive salary and benefits, including medical and dental insurance contribution, retirement plan contribution, life insurance contribution, paid holidays and flexible time off.
The Garden Manager reports directly to the Executive Director and will supervise horticultural staff and contractors.
This is a 40+ hour per week position, with occasional weeknight and weekend work as needed.
High Glen Gardens is equal opportunity employer. We recruit, hire, train, promote our employees and administer our personnel policies without regard to race, color, religion, creed, age, sex, national origin or ancestry, genetic information, marital status, status as a veteran, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other impermissible factor in accordance with applicable laws.
Duties and Responsibilities (includes direct management for the Frederick property and contractor management for our Annapolis property):
• planting, maintenance, irrigation and fertilization of garden beds and containers to a superior quality
• design of annual beds, seasonal containers and new or renovated gardens
• ongoing care of annuals, perennials, trees, shrubs, vines and tropicals using best practices
• oversight and management of IPM program in accordance with all federal and state laws, regulations and safety policies
• weed control
• irrigation repair and maintenance with support from contractors and in-house staff
• formal hedge maintenance
• greenhouse management and limited propagation
• maintenance of clean and organized work and storage spaces
• proper utilization of basic landscape tools
• operation and maintenance of small equipment and vehicles including tractor, dump truck, pick-up truck, Kubota, Bobcat and attachments, zero turn mower, golf carts, 18’ mower, top dresser and passenger cars
• occasional weeknight and weekend work as needed, including greenhouse maintenance, snow removal, storm clean-up and special event support
• recordkeeping (including horticultural notes and pesticide applications)
• utilization of BG-Base and BG-Map
- accession & tag new plant material
- de-accession plant material
- run reports and print maps
• recruitment, management and development of all horticulture staff
• periodic inventories of tools, fertilizers, pesticides, etc.
• public interaction, including garden tours and workshops
• flower arranging
• installation of seasonal decorations (fall displays, holiday lights and displays, etc.)
• limited turf care
• other related work as needed, such as furniture and equipment maintenance, painting, etc., or as requested by the Executive Director
• valid driver’s license with clean driving record
• ability to lift 50 lbs. and to perform strenuous physical tasks in all weather and temperature conditions
• minimum 2-year horticulture or closely related technical degree from an accredited college or horticulture program
• minimum 5 years high-level horticulture and supervisory experience
• Maryland State Pesticide Applicator’s Certification Category 3A or ability to obtain one within 90 days of employment
• ability to follow directions and work independently, as well as supervise and work as part of a team
• highly motivated and active self-starter
• flexibility to work in an ever-changing environment with demonstrated ability to prioritize and juggle competing tasks and demands
• skill in garden and floral design
• excellent verbal and written communication skills
• basic experience with vehicle maintenance, mowing, construction and irrigation
• High Glen Gardens is a drug-free and smoke-free workplace. Candidates who are offered employment are required to submit to a drug screening at the start of employment. Satisfactory completion is a condition of continued employment.
• proficiency in MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel)
• knowledge of BG-Base and BG-Map software
• ability to speak Spanish
Please send a cover letter, resume and references to:
Peter Couchman, Executive Director
Visit us at www.facebook.com/highglengardens for more information.
ALL APPLICANTS MUST BE AVAILABLE FOR IN-PERSON INTERVIEWS.
UNFORTUNATELY, OVERSEAS APPLICANTS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED UNLESS THEY ARE ALREADY RELOCATING TO THE AREA AND ARE AUTHORIZED TO WORK IN THE U.S.