The gardener is responsible for the care and maintenance of assigned garden areas. Using best practices, the primary responsibility will be to garden. Reporting to the Director of Horticulture, gardeners work to maintain the Garden in the best possible condition for the visiting public. Using best practices and showcasing sustainability, gardeners seek to educate the public showcasing plant collections, garden design and ecology.
Perform various gardening tasks as required and/or assigned. Tasks include, but are not limited to:
1. Develop and maintain assigned gardens to the highest standards including weeding, cultivating, mulching and watering plant beds as required to maintain a healthy plant collection.
2. Help to design annual beds and assist in other design projects as assigned.
3. Work with interns and help to give them the education and work experiences that are a part of the intern program.
4. Sow seeds and pot-up and grow various plants in the greenhouse for eventual planting in the Garden.
5. Lawn Care and maintenance
6. Spring and fall clean-ups. Remove dead or dying plants back to the ground in the spring and fall.
7. Lead public programs as assigned. Help with social media posts as assigned.
8. Trail maintenance.
9. Snow removal.
10. Set-up and tear-down of our annual holiday light show, Gardens Aglow. Assist in evening care of the show (work swing-shifts and weekends during the holidays)
11. Other duties as assigned.
1. A minimum of A.S. or B.S. equivalent training in horticulture or a closely related field. 1-2 years hands-on gardening experience.
2. Must have the ability to lift 50 lbs and to perform strenuous physical tasks/work outdoors in all weather conditions including rain and snow.
3. Must be available to work flexible hours if needed including some weekends.
4. Flexibility to work in a dynamic work environment and willingness and ability to set priorities.
5. Ability to work independently and in a group.
6. Must have a valid MA Drivers License (or obtain within 1 month)
Send a resume and cover letter as well as three references to:
Les Lutz, Director of Horticulture & Facilities Management
No phone calls please.