The Public Engagement Manager builds and delivers events and programs that drive attendance and expands the guest experience for a multicultural, multigenerational audience. Public programs, including music series, exhibits, community collaborations, and signature events, are essential to audience development from welcoming first-time visitors to engaging loyal donors. The Manager must be a strategic thinker who is skilled at planning and executing events, building internal and external partnerships, and is an effective communicator. The successful candidate will maximize the impact of existing programs while leading the vision and creation of events and programs that will position the Botanical Garden to be a compelling cultural and horticultural hub for local residents and visitors to the region.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily and perform other duties as assigned.
• Serve as the institution’s operational lead for audience-driving events and public programs
• Lead the growth and development of events and public programs, increasing annual visitorship and operating revenues through guest-centric and mission-aligned events and programs
• Drive direction and strategy and lead planning meetings for existing events and public programs (i.e. Botanical Blues, Champagne & Chocolate, Downtown Earth Day Tour, North Gallery exhibits, Spring Garden Festival, Spring Luncheon and Social Irrigation)
• Craft programming that appeals to a diverse audience and helps expand our audience and donor base
• Manage, book and cultivate all tour groups while partnering with Guest Experience, Horticulture and Education to fulfill the visitor needs.
• Actively develop and execute new opportunities to develop an annual calendar of relevant events and programs
• Engage the volunteer group, Friends of the Greater Des Moines Botanical Garden, as ambassadors of the Botanical Garden and partners to expand the guest experience through public programs and audience engagement
• Cultivate a cohesive team of professionals and volunteers with a passion for growth and excellence in events and public programming
• Procure, negotiate, contract, and manage relationships with vendors, including performers, exhibitors, and contractors that supply essential services and equipment
• Work in collaboration with team members to positively impact multiple revenue streams, driving retail, admissions, food and beverage, membership, donations and sponsorships
• Develop and oversee operational budget that drives revenue and manages cost ratios for programs; coordinate staff and volunteers to fulfill human capital needs for programing; implement strategic plan goals
• Develop and track metrics to measure effectiveness of public engagement offerings
• Effectively engage and collaborate with Guest Experience, Marketing, Education, Horticulture and Philanthropy Departments to achieve organizational goals.
• Develop community connections to leverage institutional resources toward meaningful collaborations to maximize shared resources and become mutually beneficial over time.
Education and Experience
• Bachelor’s degree in event planning, hospitality, marketing, communications, or related field of study/work experience
• Experience in event and program creation, training, and management
• Knowledge of current trends in public garden, education, museum, or cultural attraction programming
• Minimum of two years of experience in a management position
• Previous experience managing budgets, including profit and loss and measuring program metrics
• Proven competence managing program logistics, staff, volunteers, and financial inputs, outputs, and outcomes
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter, application, three references, and a resume to email@example.com. Review of applications will begin immediately and remain open until the candidate is hired. Only electronic applications are accepted; no paper applications will be considered.