The Facility Specialist will be responsible for the overall cleanliness of the facility and grounds. This person must have a high attention to detail, be reliable and self-motivated, takes pride in his/her work and can communicate and support the Botanical Garden team. The Facility Specialist needs to be organized and able to fulfill activities in a timely fashion with a wide range of repair and maintenance skills. This position often requires early mornings and/or weekend hours with some overtime.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily and perform other duties as assigned.
• Executes general cleaning, such as sweeping, mopping, vacuuming, restroom cleaning, dusting and trash removal
• Repairs faulty appliances and toilets, fixes minor electrical issues, remodels rooms, and paints as needed
• Responds to guest and staff inquiries providing accurate courteous information along with communicating concerns to the Assistant Director of Facilities and Grounds
• Assists with the upkeep of the grounds, including picking up litter and snow removal
• Assists the Events and Venue Department with cleaning needs between rentals or events
• Operates an assortment of cleaning equipment as needed, including a vacuum cleaner, pressure washer, buffer/burnishers, sweepers/scrubbers, carpet extractors, blowers, snow removal equipment and others as needed
• Follows safety and environmental business practices and keeps work area in a clean and orderly condition
• Performs other duties as assigned by Assistant Director of Facility and Grounds and Botanical Garden leadership
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required for this position.
Education and Experience
• High school diploma or equivalent required
• Ability to perform basic mathematical concepts and trade work, such as carpentry and plumbing
• Minimum of one-year experience in custodial and related services with event preparation
• General knowledge including carpentry, drywall, electrical, flooring, heating and cooling
Skills and Abilities
• Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment
• Ability to deal with problems involving several variables in standardized situations
• Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
• Ability to read and write reports, business correspondences, and procedural manuals
• Excellent time-management skills to handle a variety of assignments simultaneously under a variety of deadlines and other constraints
• Ability to understand and interpret instruction to work effectively and efficiently independently with minimal supervision, as well as part of a team
• Ability to interact in an appropriate and professional manner with the general public, staff, and volunteers
Licenses and Certifications
• Must possess a valid State of Iowa driver’s license (or obtain within 1 month)
• Maintain insurability under the company auto liability policy
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter, application, three references and a resume to email@example.com. Review of applications will begin immediately and remain open until the candidate is hired. Only electronic applications are accepted. Applications must be submitted electronically. No paper applications will be considered.