Leads the Botanical Garden’s annual fund and individual giving program. In this position, the Development Officer will develop, execute and evaluate comprehensive annual and individual giving programs to secure funds from individual donors. This position develops and manages a matrix of solicitation and communication strategies all focused at shaping a sustainable tradition of annual support. The Development Officer also identifies, cultivates, solicits and stewards a personal portfolio of individual donors and prospects.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily and perform other duties as assigned.
• Develops and implements strategic and tactical Annual Fund plans with objectives, timelines and evaluation plans designed to meet the Annual Fund goals.
• Coordinates with and supports both the President and CEO and the Director of Philanthropy in the execution of the Annual Fund plans.
• Identifies, cultivates, solicits and stewards a portfolio of donors and prospects through in-person visits and other forms of direct personal contact in accordance with performance targets set by the Botanical Garden philanthropy and leadership teams.
• Uses a variety of strategies such as cultivation events, personal solicitations, special projects, telemarketing, email, mail and social media programs to secure Annual Fund support.
• Supports a culture of philanthropy by ensuring proper acknowledgement, recognition and stewardship of donors.
• Works interdepartmentally with Education and Horticulture teams to craft special fundraising campaigns related to funding priorities.
• Uses the development database to perform a comprehensive analysis of the Annual Fund results and makes recommendations for program changes.
• Conducts research to identify prospective donors and creates strategies to match prospects’ interests to the priorities of the Botanical Garden.
• In collaboration with direct supervisor and members of the philanthropy team, develops and manages budgets for fundraising strategies for the annual fund campaign.
• Makes effective use of the Botanical Garden’s donor management database and other organizational resources to ensure appropriate management of donors, prospects, Board Directors and volunteers in coordination with the Botanical Garden’s objectives.
• Perform other departmental-related duties as requested or assigned by the Director of Philanthropy
Education and Experience
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience is required
• 2-3 years of experience in development, particularly successful annual fund experience
• Demonstrated experience and success in effective donor and stewardship and solicitation
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
• Strong process, planning and implementation skills
• Creative problem solver and strategic and organized thinker
• Excellent time-management skills to handle a variety of assignments simultaneously under a variety of deadlines and other constraints
• Ability to understand and interpret instruction to work effectively and efficiently independently with minimal supervision as well as part of a team
• Attention to detail, accuracy and proficiency with regard to handling data and executing reports
• Advanced proficiency in Microsoft office programs with emphasis on Word and Excel; donor database experience and proficiency essential, particularly Blackbaud Altru
• Results driven; ability to manage and measure work, balancing multiple projects and goals
• Respectful and grateful donor-centric perspective
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter, application, three references and a resume to email@example.com. Review of applications will begin immediately and remain open until the candidate is hired. Only electronic applications are accepted; no paper applications will be considered.