This position is effectively the registrar of the collections, coordinating documentation from the point of acquisition through installation. The curatorial technician is responsible for maintaining all plant records in BG-Base, files of plants received, accession tags and display labels, and electronic maps. Additionally, the position is responsible for evaluating accessions, documenting their health and status in the garden, and their effectiveness toward fulfilling the scope of collections. This position works under the general supervision of the Director of Horticulture and Education and reports to the Assistant Director of Horticulture for the coordination of daily activities, attendance, and other operational procedures.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily and perform other duties as assigned.
• Manage plant records in BG-Base, including accessions, names, locations, and sources with regular updates based on horticultural activities
• Coordinate accession tags and display labels based on current institutional needs with external vendors and assist horticulturists with installation in garden areas
• Coordinate with team members to ensure highest degree of data integrity through excellent record-keeping and process documentation
• Supervise volunteer curators and assistant in phenology data collection, seed cleaning, data entry, and collection management
• Serve as a key institutional contact for the Iowa Bonsai Association on behalf of the Ladany Bonsai Collection, including managing the relationship with the Botanical Garden’s contracted bonsai master
• Assist with interpretive activities, including horticultural tours and interfacing with educational programming to create a richer, more enhanced visitor experience
• Assist the Director of Horticulture and Education with ancillary activities of the curatorial program, as directed, including but not limited to plant exploration, plant breeding and selection programs, and industry outreach that promotes the collections or expands their access to new audiences
• Serve as part of the snow and ice management team during winter months
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required for this position.
Education and Experience
• Bachelor’s degree in horticulture, botany, natural science or related field of study
• Two years of experience with BG-Base or other curatorial software is required
• Previous educational or employment experience in public horticulture is highly desirable
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Working knowledge of plant systematics and nomenclature; advanced knowledge is highly desirable
• Working knowledge of plant propagation is highly desirable
• Working knowledge of current trends in ornamental horticulture
• Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment
• Ability to apply basic mathematical concepts such as algebra, geometry and monetary transactions
• Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
• Ability to successful pass a criminal background check
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite
• Ability to read and write reports, business correspondence and procedural manuals
Licenses and Certifications
• Must possess a valid State of Iowa Driver’s License (or obtain within 1 month)
• Maintain insurability under the company auto liability policy
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter, application, three references and a resume to email@example.com. Applications must be submitted electronically. No paper applications will be considered.