This full-time horticulturist position is primarily responsible for tropical horticulture in the Botanical Garden’s historic 1979 geodesic, as well as the design, installation and care of horticultural displays in the outdoor water garden. Specific work assignments are contingent upon skills, experience and any unique specialties a candidate possesses. The ideal candidate will have hands-on experience with tropical and aquatic horticulture, a working knowledge of integrated pest management and proficiency for creating dynamic horticultural designs with tropical and temperate flora. This is a redefined position for a curatorially-driven candidate to work closely with the Assistant Director of Horticulture and Director of Horticulture and Education to advance the Garden’s tropical and aquatic plant collections.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily and perform other duties as assigned.
• Prepare the Garden for daily visitors as well as special events, ensuring that the Garden is well groomed, the plants and collections are healthy, and the Garden is safe and attractive for the public
• Collaborate with team members to improve and enhance outdoor garden operations, policies, and procedures, along with tasks required for maintaining the highest standards of horticultural operations, including attending staff meetings and interacting with board directors, donors and the public
• Perform and support horticultural practices that encourage overall plant health and soil nutrition, and include sustainable gardening and IPM practices
• Maintain horticultural tools, equipment and records of work accomplished while documenting processes and procedures for institutional stability
• Assist with ongoing horticultural design development for areas of responsibility in collaboration with the Assistant Director of Horticulture and the Director of Horticulture and Education
• Assist with the fulfillment of the Garden’s plant collection and plant records policies, including collaborating with team members to advance curatorial activity for areas of responsibility
• Lead horticultural tours and assist with educational programming and special events, as directed
• Supervise volunteers in horticultural tasks
• Serve as part of the snow and ice management team during the winter months
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required for this position.
Education and Experience
• Bachelor’s degree in horticulture, plant sciences or related field of study
• Previous educational or employment experience in public horticulture is highly desirable. A passion for connecting people and plants in an innovative environment is critical to success in this position
• In-depth knowledge about aquatic plant ecology is highly desirable
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Working knowledge of plant systematics and nomenclature
• Working knowledge of current trends in ornamental horticulture
• Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite
• Ability to read and write reports, business correspondence, and procedural manuals
• Excellent time-management skills to handle a variety of assignments simultaneously under a variety of deadlines and other constraints
• Ability to understand and interpret instruction to work effectively and efficiently independently with minimal supervision, as well as part of a team
• Comfortable engaging audiences across a range of demographics and learning styles
• Ability to interact in an appropriate and professional manner with the general public, staff and volunteers
Licenses and Certifications
• Must possess a valid State of Iowa Driver’s License (or obtain within 1 month)
• Must possess a valid Commercial Pesticides Applicator license (or obtain within 1 month)
• Maintain insurability under the company auto liability policy
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter, application, three references and a resume to email@example.com. Applications must be submitted electronically. No paper applications will be considered.