Owned by the City of New York, the High Line is programmed, maintained, and operated by Friends of the High Line, in partnership with NYC Parks. We raise nearly 100% of the High Line’s annual budget.
Through excellence in operations, stewardship, innovative programming, and world-class design, we seek to engage the vibrant and diverse community on and around the High Line, and to raise the essential private funding to help complete the High Line’s construction and create an endowment for its future operations.
Operations is composed of several departments and teams: Facilities & Engineering, Horticulture, Production, Custodial, Visitor Services, and Operations Administration.
The senior director of operations reports to the vice president of park operations and oversees the management of the Facilities & Engineering, Custodial, and Operations Administration departments. Collectively, the senior director of operations oversees a staff of approximately 25 people, including the director of facilities & engineering, custodial manager, and park operations manager. This staff is responsible for the day-to-day maintenance, operations, security, and long term planning of the park’s hardscape, restrooms, office building, as well as the administrative needs for the entire division.
This is a full-time. year-round, exempt position.
- Oversee the Facilities & Engineering, Custodial, and Operations Administration departments; address daily and long-term needs of staff, including, but not limited to staffing, schedules, work orders, and project work
- Provide strategy and project management oversight for repairs and maintenance and long-range capital repairs
- Collaborate with all staff, NYC Parks & Recreation (NYC DPR), and vendors to manage the resolution of operational issues and large-scale projects in support of High Line initiatives
-Identify, strategize, and manage the execution of special projects, such as long term repair needs, updating wiring and utilities, etc., related to operations; keep all stakeholders updated on the process as appropriate; coordinate with appropriate parties to ensure quality control measures are met through entire project lifecycle
- Oversee vendor and contractor relations, including the RFP process and the execution of contracts, and ensure that vendors meet all contractual and insurance requirements
- Oversee the implementation, review, and update of a GIS-driven management plan, and preventative maintenance plans tracked in the High Line’s enterprise asset management system (EAM), Cartegraph
- Develop a system of key performance indicators (KPIs) based on industry standards and sustainability best practices to benchmark performance and improve operational efficiency
- Create and review policies and procedures and ensure compliance with city regulations, NYC Parks M&O license agreement, and High Line organizational objectives and key results
- Manage budget lifecycle of overall Operations Division, providing strategic support to Operations leadership in annual budget allocation and planning and participating in quarterly departmental budget reviews
- Support department directors and vice president of park operations in the development, implementation, and tracking of quarterly objectives and key results (OKRs) for the Operations Division, and oversee the tactical implementation of divisional strategy under the High Line’s strategic plan
- Oversee emergency planning, incident command system (ICS) protocols, and OSHA compliance;implement and maintain long-term safety and security plan for the organization; lead internal safety committee. Manage the long-term security strategy for the High Line including relationships with neighbors, city partners, and first responders
- Manage relationship with the Parks Enforcement Patrol (PEP) and other neighboring and city partners
- Oversee the park telecommunications systems for the High Line and headquarters, including access control, security cameras, radio network, emergency phones, and fiber backbone
- In coordination with the Planning and Design department, serve as a leader on special projects such as planning for visitation studies, sidewalk sheds for neighboring buildings, evaluating additional office and space
- Participate in interview and hiring process for new staff members on an as-needed basis
- Oversee and support the operations manager in the administration of uniforms, lockers, equipment, tools, access control, storage, onboarding/offboarding, special projects, and other forms of staff support and logistics
- Prepare and send weekly reports of operational activities to the Department of Parks and Recreation and leadership
- Collaborate closely with the Visitor Services, Horticulture, and Production departments proper scheduling and staffing of the park at all times
- Support the vice president of park operations on overseeing general operations administration and related matters
- 7+ years of operational management experience
- Experience working with custodial, engineer/technical staff, and outside vendor management
- Project management experience
- Able to handle multiple projects simultaneously and be flexible to change priorities
- Experience in both short-term and long-term planning
- Excellent verbal and written communicator
- Able to creatively problem solve with diplomacy and humor
- Facility with computer programs, including email, documents, spreadsheets, and ease with
other proprietary systems
- Previous experience in bidding and contract management
- Demonstrated ability to achieve high results in ongoing cleanliness and maintenance
- Background in managing projects on a schedule and budget
- OSHA 30
- Progressive experience in custodial, engineering, or technical trades
- Prior experience managing an outdoor environment including urban park administration
This position manages an outdoor park and indoor office building. Must be able to work consistently outside, in all weather on a flexible schedule, including weekends and nights as needed.