The Friends of Birmingham Botanical Gardens, the nonprofit, mission-driven membership organization that seeks to protect, nurture, and share the wonders of Birmingham Botanical Gardens, seeks a dynamic Communications and Marketing Associate to join our dedicated, energetic team. The position will report to the Director of Communications and Marketing and will help leverage social media, the Birmingham Botanical Gardens website, other digital platforms, and high-quality print publications to promote the Gardens; support the Friends’ education, conservation, membership, and fundraising efforts; and inspire a passion for plants, gardens, and the environment in a wide, diverse audience. Applicants interested in either full-time or part-time employment will be considered.
• Produce content for digital (e-invitations, e-newsletters, etc.) and print (quarterly newsletter, annual report, etc.) materials to promote the Friends’ education, conservation, fundraising, and membership initiatives
• Create web pages and update content on bbgardens.org (website redesign scheduled for 2019-20)
• Help to build and implement a strategic social media plan that supports the Friends’ distinctive mission and that is in keeping with the organization’s brand identity across multiple platforms (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc.)
• Evaluate analytics and stay up-to-date on social media trends to extend reach and engagement
• Produce high-quality photos and videos and manage the Friends’ cloud-based photo database
• Submit monthly event listings to local media, online calendars
• Work with advertisers on ad placement
• Field media inquiries, pitch and develop story ideas, and assist with drafting media releases
• Create promotional slide shows for lobby screens and special events
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Cheerful disposition, sense of humor, and ability to communicate effectively and creatively with a broad audience
• At least two years of prior experience in a communications role
• BA/BS required—Journalism, PR, or Communications/Marketing preferred
• Firm grasp of social media platforms
• Fearless and capable photographer and videographer
• Strong working knowledge of Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Google Docs, Constant Contact, InDesign, and Photoshop
• Familiarity with CMS system(s), Google Analytics, SEO, and/or graphic design preferred
• Working knowledge of AP Stylebook and Chicago Manual of Style
• Strong organizational skills and attention to details
• Ability to multitask and meet deadlines
• Enthusiasm for the Friends’ mission and readiness to assist beyond this job description
Some evening and weekend work, depending on operational needs, and work in inclement weather is required. Occasional travel may be required.
About the Birmingham Botanical Gardens and the Friends of Birmingham Botanical Gardens:
Birmingham Botanical Gardens has been named one of the top three free attractions in America by USA Today. A facility of the Birmingham Park and Recreation Board, the Gardens is the result of a successful public/private partnership between the City of Birmingham and the nonprofit Friends of Birmingham Botanical Gardens, a mission-driven membership organization that seeks to protect, nurture, and share the wonders of the Gardens.
Mission of the Friends of Birmingham Botanical Gardens:
The Friends of Birmingham Botanical Gardens seeks to protect, nurture, and share the wonders of Birmingham Botanical Gardens. We are dedicated to serving the Gardens, serving the community, serving our visitors, and inspiring a passion for plants, gardens, and the environment.
For more information, visit bbgardens.org.
Please email letters of interest with a resume, two writing samples, and additional examples of creative work (videos, photos, graphic design, website, e-newsletter, social campaigns, etc.)
in one pdf to firstname.lastname@example.org. Position will be open until filled.
Thank you for your interest!