Position Summary: Under direction of the horticulture staff, the seasonal gardener will work with a team of staff and volunteers to maintain display gardens, greenhouses, conservatories, irrigation and turf at Frederik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park.
This position begins in April and continues through the end of August.
Application deadline is January 24, 2021.
• Work with permanent horticulture staff to coordinate and carry out daily tasks.
• Assist with maintenance of plants in greenhouses, conservatories, and specialty gardens including but not limited to: watering, pruning, mulching, fertilizing, propagating, and weeding.
• Assist with the changing of seasonal exhibits, displays and container plantings.
• Ability to operate utility vehicles, power equipment and machinery.
• Supervise, train, and lead volunteers
• Work a rotation of weekends and holidays
• Assist guests
• Ability to carry out daily duties with limited supervision
• Other duties as assigned by supervisor
• Embrace and adhere to Meijer Gardens’ mission, brand statement, operating model, policies, procedures, and guiding principles with a strong emphasis on professional behavior and the treatment of others with dignity and respect
• Embrace the fact we are a non-profit institution that serves the public and that you will work with a broad and diverse group of employees, volunteers, members, and guests
Education and/or qualifications preferred:
Education: Current enrollment in a college or university studying horticulture, forestry, landscape architecture, landscape management, restoration ecology or related subject preferred
Experience: One or more years of experience in landscape maintenance with horticultural knowledge preferred
Skills/Knowledge/Licenses: Must possess a valid driver’s license; commercial pesticide applicators license preferred
Ability to work in varying weather and temperature conditions both indoors and outdoors, Ability to lift/move up to 10 pounds regularly, frequently up to 50 pounds, and occasionally up to 100 pounds. (i.e., load, unload and move gardening supplies, medium to heavy weight tools and equipment)
If you are interested in working for one of West Michigan’s premier cultural institutions and with a highly-motivated team… send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or apply online at http://www.meijergardens.org/contact/careers/.
Frederik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
All candidates are required to submit to our background and drug screening process.