Position Summary: Specific but not limited to the Parking Lot A & B urban gardens, New American Garden, Long Border Entry Garden, Frog Pond and East Service Corridor Green space. Performs all duties associated with design, installation, maintenance and care of the displays and collections. Seasonal designs, plant selection, ordering, careful attention to accession record keeping and plant labeling are critical components of this position. The areas of responsibility and rolls of this position may change as new garden areas associated with expansion become ready.
• Responsible for the daily care, maintenance, and pest management of all assigned areas
• Development and installation of horticultural displays, planning, design, plant selection, plant rotation, placing orders, and record keeping
• Tool storage area and cart: keep clean, free of clutter, and items being stored in order
• Perform a wide range of plant care/maintenance tasks important to the preservation, protection and transplanting of existing plants; including but not limited to soil preparation, planting, pruning, mulching, weeding, watering, fertilization, irrigation, pesticide application and Integrated Pest Management techniques
• Complete display designs on a regular basis, orders plants as needed for designs and oversee/perform the layout and installation of the designs
• Oversee the day-to-day responsibilities of display presentation, plant care, maintenance issues, and volunteer assignments.
• May be responsible for interacting with the media (TV, radio, newspaper, etc) and working with Public Relations to provide information especially as it relates to horticultural content and concepts
• In winter months, plow paths and roadways, shovel snow, report early or stay late and on weekends and holidays as needed
• Maintain general care of horticultural tools, and equipment (i.e., apply lubrication and general cleaning. Refer more serious problems to Supervisor.)
• Actively work hands-on with horticulture team to complete landscape maintenance tasks and projects
• Adherence to all health and safety guidelines
• Other duties as assigned by supervisor
• Embrace and adhere to Meijer Gardens’ mission, brand statement, operating model, policies, procedures, and guiding principles with a strong emphasis on professional behavior and the treatment of others with dignity and respect
• Embrace the fact we are a non-profit institution that serves the public and that you will work with a broad and diverse group of employees, volunteers, members, and guests
Education and/or qualifications preferred:
Education/Experience: Minimum of 2-3 years’ hands-on, relevant horticulture work experience required. B.S. degree in Horticulture, Biology, Botany, and/or related field. An equivalent combination of skills, education and experience may be considered.
Skills/Knowledge/Licenses: Excellent working knowledge of a wide array of plant material and maintenance techniques; proficient in operating various landscaping tools and equipment. Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively at all levels; must enjoy and feel comfortable interacting and working with general public, in a safe and friendly manner, answering questions regarding horticulture collection. Must be able to perform tasks independently after being given assignments. Ability to lead and direct the work of others to complete general projects, including other staff and volunteers is required. Proficient experience using Microsoft Office suite (i.e., Outlook, Access, Excel, Word). Ability to obtain and maintain valid drivers, chauffeurs, equipment operators, and pesticide applicator’s licenses.
• Ability to work in all weather conditions and greenhouse environments (i.e., temperatures over 100°F as well as temperatures below 0°F, in rain, high humidity, snow and other inclement weather conditions) as well as an office environment
• Ability to lift/move up to 10 pounds regularly, frequently up to 50 pounds, and occasionally up to 100 pounds. (i.e., load, unload and move gardening supplies, medium to heavy weight tools and equipment)
• Requires standing, walking, bending, stooping, and reaching for extended periods of time-- 90% or more of the workday is standing on feet
• May be required to perform tasks at varying heights (i.e., climb ladders, etc.)
• Ability to wear company-issued Personal Protective Equipment as appropriate
• Schedule will include some evenings, weekends, and holidays
If you are interested in working for one of West Michigan’s premier cultural institutions with a highly-motivated team… send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com or apply online at http://www.meijergardens.org/contact/careers/
Frederik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
All candidates are required to submit to our background and drug screening process.