Filoli is a 654-acre historic site of the National Trust for Historic Preservation, located on the San Francisco Bay Peninsula near Woodside, CA, and one of the finest remaining country estates of the early 20th century. As a team member here, you will be able to connect rich history with a vibrant future through beauty, nature and shared stories. You have the opportunity to preserve, build upon and share the wonder of this place.
In our daily interaction with guests, we envision a time when all people honor nature, value unique experiences and appreciate beauty in everyday life. You will also actively play a part in creating a vibrant future through our 2019-2023 Strategic Plan. Embedding the core principles of Diversity & Inclusivity, Sustainability and Organizational Excellence into each pillar of the plan, we are focusing on five main pillars of our organization: People & Culture, Fundraising & Financial Strength, Infrastructure Investments, Visibility & Branding and Engagement & Education. We welcome and appreciate your contributions to Filoli.
The Plant Records Specialist will make a substantial contribution to horticulture and education at Filoli while building and maintaining a plant collections record keeping and mapping system. In line with the Strategic Plan, the Specialist will focus on the preservation of our horticulture collection and infrastructure while educating the public about our historic garden.
The Plant Records Specialist is a part-time (up to 29 hours per week, flexibly scheduled), non-exempt and hourly position. Depending on candidate experience, the hourly rate range is $23.00 to $25.00. Typically, the Specialist works 24 hours a week that regularly includes weekends and evenings to support Filoli events and programs. Flexibility to meet the needs of the organization is important.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
Plant Records Specialist
● Oversee plant collections and inventory as well as garden mapping and verification at Filoli;
● Serve as expert in plant nomenclature and up-to-date on current plant nomenclature standards;
● Maintain IrisBG database (including annual display production data);
● Actively participate in APGA Plant Collections Network, Botanical Gardens Conservation International (BGCI) and Plant Nomenclature communities on a national and international basis, including collection inductions and recertifications;
● Write plant collection blogs and content and serve as external speaker/presenter;
● Maintain plant-related resources such as books and databases;
● Manage Filoli plant collection in Plant Snap! or other mechanisms to share the collection publicly;
● Engage in regional plant conservation conversations and be engaged in efforts of plant management on whole property;
● Develop partnerships to advance efforts - forest service, Save the Redwoods, CA native plants;
● Participate in available programs such as pest tracking through APGA to ensure Filoli is represented;
● Regularly review and work with Horticulture management team to update Filoli’s Plant Collection Policy as needed;
● Serve as the primary department liaison with regional plant societies and garden clubs and as a primary source of plant-related content; maintain bloom and fruit calendars, develop blogs and other materials; coordinate with marketing and interpretation departments;
● Oversee Plant Collections Volunteers including: interviewing, training, and on-site management;
● Coordinate with the interpretive staff to provide content for programs such as talks and tours; train on program delivery and serve as additional support for public interpretation;
● Provide tours and presentations to external audiences as need;
● Provide cross coverage for garden interpretation as needed especially during special events or seasonal programs, including: opening/closing/monitoring the Garden and Nature Center;
● Provide Garden Talks and general interpretive information to visitors;
● Cover youth programs;
● Deliver excellent customer service by seeking out visitor contact, welcoming visitors, proactively seeking visitors who need assistance and providing Filoli information to visitors;
● Ability to provide the highest quality service to all customers in every interaction;
● Provide for the safety and security of Filoli visitors, staff and volunteers as well as all Filoli property and collections through keen observation and proper reporting;
● Uphold all Filoli's policies, procedures, guidelines and standards;
● Maintain flexibility and perform other duties as assigned to respond to the needs of the organization;
● Attendance and punctuality are essential to work and all work-related functions.
This position will be indirectly responsible for oversight of Plant Collections volunteers.
An individual must be able to perform each essential duty listed above and any additional responsibilities as directed as well as satisfy the educational and skill requirements listed below:
Education and/or Experience:
● Bachelor’s or Associate’s Degree in Horticulture, Botany, Plant Science, Environmental Science, Landscape Preservation or Landscape Architecture or other related field;
● Experience (volunteer or staff) in informal education or visitor services at an art museum, historic site, science museum, public garden, or nature center;
● Experience collaborating with adult volunteers;
Skills and Abilities:
● Possess excellent organizational skills and attention to detail;
● Have experience with plant collections management concepts and software;
● Previous experience with IrisBG preferred;
● Have experience with garden mapping concepts, tools and software;
● Strong computer skills, working knowledge of Microsoft Office Applications (Word, Excel and PowerPoint);
● Knowledge of temperate plants, including botanical nomenclature and ability to utilize current reference materials to identify unknown plants;
● Demonstrate excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills;
● Interact and communicate (listening and speaking) effectively with visitors, members, volunteers and employees of the organization. This also includes emergency response personnel (fire, ambulance, police, etc.);
● Maintain a positive, calm demeanor and professional manner with visitors and volunteers at all times;
● Work independently, and demonstrate wise decision-making within the bounds of the area of responsibility and authority;
● Read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
A valid Driver’s License is required.
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job including:
● Lift and carry up to 40 pounds;
● Walk across uneven terrain, stand, climb stairs, reach, lift, carry and bend frequently, as well as
stand and/or sit for long periods of time at a computer or counter;
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate, but there are occasional (2-3x a day) when the noise level requires the use of protective gear to shield ears. Due to the use of garden equipment and possible airborne debris, the use of protective eye gear is required when appropriate.
HOW TO APPLY
1. Candidates with the above prerequisites are invited to submit their resumes along with a cover letter outlining their related experience and background to: https://filoli.applicantstack.com/x/openings
2. Possession of minimum requirements does not guarantee an interview.
3. Please, no phone calls.
4. Thank you for your interest in Filoli!
Please visit our website for more information: www.filoli.org
Filoli is an equal opportunity employer who values diversity in the workplace.