Filoli is a 654-acre historic site of the National Trust for Historic Preservation, located on the San Francisco Bay Peninsula near Woodside, CA, and one of the finest remaining country estates of the early 20th century. As a team member here, you will be able to connect rich history with a vibrant future through beauty, nature and shared stories. You have the opportunity to preserve, build upon and share the wonder of this place.
In our daily interaction with guests, we envision a time when all people honor nature, value unique experiences and appreciate beauty in everyday life. You will also actively play a part in creating a vibrant future through our 2019-2023 Strategic Plan. Embedding the core principles of Diversity & Inclusivity, Sustainability and Organizational Excellence into each pillar of the plan, we are focusing on five main pillars of our organization: People & Culture, Fundraising & Financial Strength, Infrastructure Investments, Visibility & Branding and Engagement & Education. We welcome and appreciate your contributions to Filoli.
The Horticulturist works under the direct supervision of the Area Lead Horticulturist. This position is responsible for providing care, maintenance and protection of Filoli’s gardens and grounds including: historic and ornamental plant collections, hardscaping and structures, and tools and equipment. In line with our Strategic Plan, the Horticulturist will work to enhance the garden experience for current and future visitors.
This is a full-time (30-40 hours per week, flexibly scheduled) position that typically works five consecutive days per week from 7:00am to 3:30pm. Depending on candidate experience, the salary range is $25.00 - $26.00 per hour. This position is also eligible for employee benefits: medical, dental, vision, life, LTD, Flex Plan, 401(k), vacation, sick leave and holiday pay. This schedule may change to meet the needs of the organization so flexibility is important.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
Preserve, maintain, and care for a specific area of the garden. Duties and responsibilities include:
• Planting and Soil Preparation: Use of hand tools and equipment to prepare and amend soil, plant bulbs, annuals, perennials and woody plants, and follow a formal planting plan;
• Pruning & Hedging: Prune and train trees, shrubs, hedges, topiary, and vines in accordance with landscape design specifications;
• Irrigation: Program planned irrigation schedules and adjust according to California Irrigation Management Information Systems (CIMIS), check soil moisture, inspect, repair, and install irrigation systems, and hand water;
• Turf Care: Mow, edge, renovate, dethatch, aerate and reseed;
• Pest, Weed and Brush Control: Weed, cultivate, rough-cut, perform vertebrate pest control, control poison oak, apply pesticides following California Department of Pesticide Regulations (DPR) and Filoli specified policies and procedures and keep records;
• Fertilizing: Use broadcast and rotary spreaders, compost and keep records;
• Clean-up & Grooming: Manage leaves, clean debris, deadhead and groom pots and beds;
• Harvesting: Gather fruit, cut flowers, herbs and foliage;
• Structural Maintenance: Install and repair header board and plant support structures, monitor and clean pools and drains, and control algae on brick paths;
• Equipment Care & Maintenance: Clean, sharpen, lubricate, and provide basic maintenance for tools and equipment;
• Safety: Adhere to safety standards regarding equipment use, pesticide use, and ergonomic safety for the Garden Staff, Interns and volunteers and report hazards to management;
• Plant Collections Management: Assist with plant records management and mapping using database software;
• Interact daily with Filoli visitors and share information about our historic horticultural landscapes and displays;
Training and Supervision
• Train and supervise Horticulture Interns and garden volunteers;
• Instruct and/or participate in the development/preparation of horticulture classes which will be offered through Filoli’s Education Department;
• Teach and enforce safety standards regarding equipment use, pesticide use, and ergonomic safety for the interns and volunteers and report hazards to management;
• Partner with others in the implementation of safety programs, accident prevention, emergency communication and documentation of training;
• Teach formalized intern workshops, and occasionally provide horticultural programming for visitors such as demonstrations or tours;
• Assist with special events: set-up tables and chairs, assist with parking, put up holiday lights, etc.;
• Ability to provide the highest quality service to all customers in every interaction;
• Uphold all Filoli's policies, procedures, guidelines and standards;
• Maintain flexibility and perform other duties as assigned to respond to the needs of the organization;
• Attendance and punctuality are essential to work and all work-related functions.
This position has indirect supervisory responsibilities for Apprentices and seasonal Interns (FT) and a group of garden volunteers (3-4 days per week).
An individual must be able to perform each essential duty listed above and any additional responsibilities as directed as well as satisfy the educational and skill requirements listed below:
Education and/or Experience:
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Horticulture (preferred) or directly related field of study and directly related experience and/or training or equivalent combination of education and experience;
• Minimum of at least 2 years practical experience maintaining gardens.
Skills and Abilities:
• Ability to understand, apply and teach the basic principles of horticulture, plant science, and botany;
• Mechanical abilities necessary to safely operate a range of power equipment, vehicles, tractors;
• Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals;
• Proficiency with email, basic MS Office and Google applications and computerized collection management databases;
• Communicate (listening and speaking) effectively and respectfully with Filoli employees and volunteers;
• Work independently, and demonstrate wise decision-making within the bounds of the area of responsibility and authority;
• Take direction, multi-task and work effectively in a team environment;
• Ability to interact with visitors and members.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
A California Qualified Applicator’s Certificate or License is required or must be obtained within six months of employment and must be maintained. A valid Driver’s License is required.
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job including:
• Stand, walk across uneven terrain, climb ladders (orchard and extension ladders up to 16’ and scaffolding up to 25’) and stairs, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, reach, handle, lift, carry, push and bend frequently;
• Possess strength sufficient to exert force up to 50 lbs. occasionally and/or up to 35 lbs. frequently, and/or up to 20 lbs. constantly to lift, carry, push and pull or otherwise move objects;
• Perform repetitive motions up to 50% of time using tools and equipment;
• Able to drive vehicles and large garden equipment.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate, but there are occasional (2-3x a day) when the noise level requires the use of protective gear to shield ears. Due to the use of garden equipment and possible airborne debris, the use of protective eye gear is required when appropriate.
HOW TO APPLY
1. Candidates with the above prerequisites are invited to submit their resumes along with a cover letter outlining their related experience and background to: https://filoli.applicantstack.com/x/openings
2. Possession of minimum requirements does not guarantee an interview.
3. Please, no phone calls.
4. Thank you for your interest in Filoli!
Please visit our website for more information: www.filoli.org
Filoli is an equal opportunity employer who values diversity in the workplace.