The Director of Human Resources will lead the Garden’s efforts in providing an employeeoriented, high-performance culture that emphasizes quality, productivity, goal attainment and
diversity & inclusion. The Director of Human Resources is responsible for developing and
managing the strategic direction for talent recruitment and retention, as well as all personnel
policies and procedures for Desert Botanical Garden, consistent with the mission and values of
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Recruit, supervise, direct, train, mentor and evaluate the HR team.
• Manage Advancing Excellence: The Garden’s Performance Development and Feedback
Process, including communication, training, goal-setting and merit review process.
• Develop, maintain and communicate all personnel policies and programs; assure legal and
regulatory compliance (FLSA, ADA, FMLA, OSHA, EEO, ERISA, etc.) while maintaining the
highest professional standards; stay apprised of new legislation/developments in the HR
industry via continuing professional education.
• Administer all employee benefit plans, including health, dental, vision, life, short and longterm disability insurance, employee assistance program, 401(K) plan, personal financial
planning, workers compensation, and unemployment insurance. They will also oversee
COBRA program and compilation of IRS Form 5500 information; manage benefit budgets.
• Comply with all Federal and State reporting requirements (Depts. of Labor & Economic
Security, Social Security Administration, EEOC, Industrial Commission, etc.).
• Complete periodic wage/salary review and annual budgeting process with Executive
Director and CFO/Sr. Director of Finance & Administration; assist with salary budget
management; compile HCE information for IRS Form 990.
• Responsible for development and implementation of personnel and compensation policies
and procedures; recommend improvements and inform staff regarding internal policies and
procedures. Ensure the fair and equitable administration of policies.
• Oversee Cultivating Excellence, the Garden’s Program to Recruit, Reward & Recognize staff
Develop and direct strategy for employee recruitment & selection; lead the HR team to plan
and administer hiring procedures, new staff orientation to welcome, educate and celebrate
onboarding Garden employees.
• Direct strategy and lead the HR team in planning and delivering job training, supervisor
coaching and talent development programs
• Advise supervisory staff at all levels regarding HR best practices, training resources,
employee relations, conflict resolution, supervisory coaching and solution-based problem
solving; mediate employee grievances.
• Conduct investigations of employee complaints, if necessary.
• Ensure commitment to building diverse talent pipelines and an inclusive hiring process so
our employee population reflects the diverse community we serve.
• Oversee and audit the Garden’s bi-weekly payroll processing for accurate timekeeping,
deductions, levies and garnishments, accruals, changes and reporting.
• Direct and supervise HR volunteers, as needed.
• Serve as principal staff liaison to the Personnel Committee.
• Assist in other duties as assigned by the Chief Financial Officer/Sr. Director of Finance &
Administration and/or the Executive Director.
1. Bachelor degree in Human Resources or related field required. Graduate level degree
2. Minimum of five to seven years’ experience as a professional level HR Manager or Director
in a similar size organization or larger. HRCI/SHRM certification or equivalent designation
3. Excellent written and verbal communication skills; ability to prioritize and manage multiple
priorities effectively in a fast-paced environment.
4. Proficiency with Microsoft Office and advance skill with Excel.
5. Proficiency with a HRIS, including employee performance and payroll software.
6. Successful track record in building and leading teams as well as managing and supervising
7. Knowledge of best practices and experience championing diversity and inclusion initiatives.
Put your passion for the desert to work. To apply for an open position, please forward resume and letter of interest to email@example.com, fax to: 480.481.8173, or mail to:
Desert Botanical Garden
1201 N. Galvin Parkway
Phoenix, AZ 85008