Descanso Gardens seeks a Gardens Records Manager responsible for monitoring, inventorying, and mapping plants and physical objects located throughout Descanso Garden's plant collections and natural areas. The Garden Records Manager will be responsible for inventorying plant species from many different families, with a special emphasis on Camellia species, Rosa species, and California native plants. The Manager will work across departments ensuring information and data related to Descanso's collections and natural areas are available and accessible. The Manager will be responsible for the management of records in lrisBG, Autocad, ArcGIS, and historical maps and files. This position works closely with volunteers who support data collection, data input, labeling and photographing collections and natural areas. Additionally, the Manager interacts regularly with staff, Guild members, volunteers, interns, and garden visitors.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES include but are not limited to:
• Inventory, monitor and map Descanso's collections and natural areas.
• Manage collections data, including accessioning new plants, removing accessions, updating names and status of plants.
• Coordinate and advise on updates to collection policy with the Director of Horticulture and horticulturists per an established schedule.
• Organize long term collections planning with the Director of Horticulture and the horticulturists. Make recommendations for plant additions for the long term health of collections.
• Participate in collaborative planning with regard to capital projects or in kind donations that require new plantings. Help determine the impact of new plantings on the collection policy.
• Organize historical garden records, maps and files.
• Inventory, tag, and label collections and natural areas as needed.
• Photograph collections and natural areas.
• Collaborate with departments to make information, photos and data about Descanso gardens plant collections, flora and fauna and natural areas are available to staff as requested.
• Supervise and oversee the plants records volunteer program and interns.
• Inventory all trees over 8 inches in diameter. Monitor tree health, coordinate tree removals and dead wooding, by Descanso staff, county and contracted arborists.
• Keep abreast of new disease, invasive species, and insects threats in southern California. Monitor for potential threats to garden collections, and natural area. Make suggestions for control of pests and threats.
• Under the direction of the Director of Horticulture and Garden Operations and in collaboration with the horticulturists, coordinate purchasing of plant and horticultural materials, track spending and process payments per established procedures.
• Coordinate with the Plant Propagation Horticulturist on inventorying and accessioning in the nursery.
• Provide plant lists for plants to be propagated for collections.
• Coordinate and collaborate with the Garden Operations department to inventory physical objects located in the plant collections and natural areas such as structures, donor benches, irrigation mains and valves.
• Update Director of Horticulture and Garden Operations on plant collections, provide suggestions for acquisitions and removals of plant material.
• Participate in public programs by teaching classes, leading walks, etc., for the public, Descanso staff, or volunteers.
• Provide content for printed and online formats as requested.
• Produce reports on collections and natural areas.
• Other job duties as assigned.
• BA/BS required, major in Botany, Horticulture, Biology, or Ecology or similar fields. Master's degree preferred.
• 2 years' experience in plant collections management, inventory and monitoring, or botanical field research.
• At minimum, strong plant identifications skills, and the ability to learn new taxa rapidly, a working knowledge of the cultivated and wild flora of Southern California preferred.
• Strong verbal, written, and public speaking skills.
• Ability to speak and write in a scientific format.
• Understanding and experience with inventory and mapping programs /ArcGIS is highly preferred.
• Competence in MS Office and internet required; advanced experience with MS Office applications preferred.
• Valid CA Class C Driver License required.
Interested parties may apply by submitting a MS Word or PDF Letter of Interest and Resume
to email@example.com with GardenRecords1908 in the subject line. Only those meeting the minimum requirements and submitting all required information may be contacted for further inquiry. We will accept Letters of Interest and Resumes until the position is filled.