Descanso Gardens seeks a Gardener responsible for garden maintenance including landscaping and waterscape and hardscape duties in collection zones. The Gardener will also participate in, and may lead, group work days and may support and oversee horticultural volunteers. Reporting directly to the Director of Horticulture and Garden Operations, this position interacts with staff, Guild members, volunteers, and garden visitors.
This is a full-time, non-exempt position and includes evening and/or weekend hours depending on the needs of the organization. The anticipated work schedule for the position will be Monday through Friday from 6:00am to 2:30pm during the summer season and 7:00am to 3:30pm the rest of the year. This schedule is subject to change depending on the seasonal and on-going needs of the department and the gardens.
• Responsible for planting, fertilizing, irrigating, staking, pruning, removing plants, and other general gardening duties, as assigned.
• Responsible for prioritizing and accomplishing daily individual assignments, as assigned.
• Participates in group work projects.
• Coordinates with Horticultural staff to determine best course of direction for control of weeds and pests.
• Learns plant identification and botanical names, as appropriate.
• Responsible for maintenance of tools, water features and hardscape, as assigned.
• Identifies items in the landscape that need attention and brings to staff attention through written work order forms.
• Supports and oversees volunteer activities.
• Participates in safety meetings and is responsible for adhering to Descanso Gardens’ guidelines for worker safety.
• Occasionally interacts with visitors and members by answering questions and providing information and directions.
• Adheres to established Code of Safe practices when performing various jobs duties which also includes the safety of staff, visitors, volunteers, and communicates any hazard concerns as needed.
• Maintains gardens using organic pest control, weed control, and fertilization.
• Completion of other job related duties as assigned.
• Must demonstrate a strong knowledge of plants, general landscape maintenance, planting techniques,
pruning, mulching, and other horticultural practices.
• Associate or Bachelor’s Degree in horticulture, plant science, forestry, environmental science, or other
related field required.
• Two years of work experience in a garden setting as part of the horticulture or gardening team may
substitute for degree.
• Experience with organic gardening preferred.
• Must demonstrate strong organizational skills.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills required including speaking clearly to diverse audiences.
• Individual must be able to work unsupervised and to see projects through to completion.
• Ability to work with minimal supervision and also as a member of a team.
To apply: Interested parties may apply by submitting a MS Word or PDF Letter of Interest and Resume to email@example.com with GARDENER1901 in the subject line. Only those meeting the minimum requirements and submitting all required information may be contacted for further inquiry. We will accept Letters of Interest and Resumes until the position is filled.