The Descanso Display Horticulturist is responsible for ongoing seasonal display in the gardens. This position maintains a fresh and colorful aspect throughout the gardens and particularly in the promenade, courtyard and Boddy House. This position requires a high level of attention to detail and plant care as well as a strong sense of color and design. The candidate should be highly creative and knowledgeable of a wide palette of seasonal plants, and their care and maintenance. We hope for a candidate who is collaborative, creative and responsive to a wide and ever changing range of responsibilities. This is a full-time, non-exempt position and may include some evening and/or weekend hours depending on the needs of the organization. The anticipated work schedule for the position will be Monday through Friday from 7:00 am to 3:30 pm. This schedule is subject to change depending on the seasonal and ongoing needs of the department and the gardens.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS, DUTIES, AND RESPONSIBILITIES include but are not limited to:
• Plans, prepares, and executes a strategy for the collection the horticulturist is responsible for at Descanso Gardens.
• Schedules garden staff and participates in day-to-day care of the collection including planting, weeding, fertilizing, irrigating, staking, pruning, dead wooding, removing plants, and other general gardening duties.
• Orders new plants and plant materials.
• Lead staff on work days in the collection.
• Trains and oversees volunteers for work activities by providing support, direction, and encouragement.
• Manages irrigation system in collection areas.
• Participates in public education programs as they relate to the Collection and the landscape. Works with Public Programs in the presentation of horticulture talks, the offering of tours, classes, and docent training. Occasionally this position is responsible for writing articles that appear in the Descanso Gardens Newsletter, or other publications.
• Provides public information about the plants in the collection through the placement of identification labels and interpretive information. Furnishes information to the Plant Records Manager to facilitate accessioning of new plants, deaccessioning of dead plants, mapping, and the production of public identification labels and accession tags.
• Participates in monthly safety trainings, landscape committee meetings, and the team management of the Descanso Gardens landscape.
• Provides reports and updates of the various projects and assignments for a collection in the Gardens.
• Minor irrigation repairs.
• Completion of other duties as assigned.
EQUIPMENT USED: This position is responsible for the safe operation and maintenance of a full range of manual and power tools; standard manual and gas powered gardening equipment and tools including hedge trimmer, extendable gas-powered tree trimmer, soil tiller, compactor, seated lawn mower, bypass pruner, lopper and folding saw; vehicles, computer and two-way radio.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
• Degree in horticulture, botany, or plant science or equivalent experience.
• Minimum of three years of increasing responsibility in a public horticulture setting.
• Strong knowledge of and previous work experience in the care and presentation of a diverse collection of trees, shrubs, and perennials using organic horticultural techniques.
• Demonstrated experience scheduling staff, planning tasks and organizing projects.
• Knowledge of use and safe operation of manual and power gardening tools.
• Ability to effectively lead and work in teams.
• Strong interpersonal communication skills.
• Basic computer skills including MS Office.
• Valid Class C California Driver’s License.
This is an outdoor physically-orientated and demanding position which requires:
• Ability to move equipment to various locations within the Gardens which may not be accessible via motor vehicle or paved road.
• Must be able to walk long distances and access various areas of the Gardens including areas not accessible by paved roads or dirt trails.
• The ability to lift and carry 50 lbs.
• The ability to walk, kneel, bend, stoop, sit, crouch, drive vehicles, and climb ladders on regular and ongoing basis.
• Exposure to various noise levels on a daily basis.
• Working outdoors in inclement weather, including cold, rain and heat, as well as night time conditions.
To apply: Interested parties may apply by submitting a MS Word or PDF Letter of Interest and Resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with HORT1908 in the subject line. Only those meeting the minimum requirements and submitting all required information may be contacted for further inquiry. We will accept resumes until the position is filled. No phone calls, please