Descanso Gardens seeks a Gardener responsible for garden maintenance including landscaping and waterscape and hardscape duties in collection zones. The Gardener will also participate in, and may lead, group work days and may support and oversee horticultural volunteers. Reporting directly to the Director of Horticulture and Garden Operations, this position interacts with staff, Guild members, volunteers, and garden visitors.
This is a full-time, non-exempt position and includes evening and/or weekend hours depending on the needs of the organization.
Compensation: Starting at $15 per hour
• Responsible for planting, fertilizing, irrigating, staking, pruning, removing plants, and other general gardening duties, as assigned.
• Responsible for prioritizing and accomplishing daily individual assignments, as assigned.
• Participates in group work projects.
• Coordinates with Horticultural staff to determine best course of direction for control of weeds and pests.
• Learns plant identification and botanical names, as appropriate.
• Responsible for maintenance of tools, water features and hardscape, as assigned.
• Identifies items in the landscape that need attention and brings to staff attention through written work order forms.
• Supports and oversees volunteer activities.
• Participates in safety meetings and is responsible for adhering to Descanso Gardens’ guidelines for worker safety.
• Occasionally interacts with visitors and members by answering questions and providing information and directions.
• Adheres to established Code of Safe practices when performing various jobs duties which also includes the safety of staff, visitors, volunteers, and communicates any hazard concerns as needed.
• Maintains gardens using organic pest control, weed control, and fertilization.
• Completion of other job related duties as assigned.
• Must demonstrate a strong knowledge of plants, general landscape maintenance, planting techniques, pruning, mulching, and other horticultural practices.
• Two years of work experience in a garden setting as part of the horticulture or gardening team may substitute for degree.
• Experience with organic gardening preferred.
• Must demonstrate strong organizational skills.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills required including speaking clearly to diverse audiences.
• Individual must be able to work unsupervised and to see projects through to completion.
• Ability to work with minimal supervision and also as a member of a team.
• Valid Class C California Driver’s License required.
For more information on the position and to apply, please visit