The Delaware Center for Horticulture (DCH, Wilmington, DE) is seeking a motivated, energetic student in horticulture or plant sciences to serve as our 2019 public horticulture intern. This is a paid ($12/hr) internship for a qualified undergraduate, graduate student, or recent graduate interested in career paths in public horticulture. Ideally, this internship would also provide course credit through the student’s educational institution.
This unique internship is a hands-on program that assists in the care and maintenance of DCH’s public gardens in Trolley Square, as well as activities and projects in urban forestry, urban agriculture, and public/display horticulture. The experience is envisioned as a full-time (37.5 hrs/week) position for 12 weeks, mid-May through late July/early August. Exact start and end dates are negotiable.
Learning and Experience Offered
• Exposure to sustainable and urban gardening while working with dedicated colleagues and volunteers
• Introductory experience to a variety of urban and peri-urban landscapes, including urban rain gardens, roof gardens, roadside and traffic median plantings, native and pollinator plantings, public parks and plazas
• Introduction to topics, issues and career paths in public horticulture including urban forestry, urban agriculture and public gardens/landscapes
• Hands-on application of garden/landscape skills and expertise in a professional setting
• Real-world implementation of urban horticulture concepts, strategies, and problem-solving
• Gain skills related to volunteer coordination, planning and time management, working both independently and as part of a team
• Experience in public horticulture, nonprofit, and public garden settings
• Opportunities to attend off-site, industry training, such as plant conferences and workshops, and to visit other local public gardens
• Serve as a team member for installation and maintenance of DCH greening projects
• Support weekly care and maintenance tasks for DCH’s gardens and installation of new courtyard green roof
• Help develop specific maintenance plans for newer DCH garden features, such as the rain gardens at Conaty Park, DCH Infinity Garden, and courtyard green roof
• Watering of new project plantings and landscape installations, container plantings, and public landscapes
o Learn safe, approved methods for integrated pest management, weed control, pruning of woody plants, and power tool use
• Assist with plant inventory, plant labeling, and mapping
• Work with volunteers
• Assist with tracking time and materials.
• Complete an independent study project under the direction of your supervisor
• A strong academic background in horticulture, environmental studies or closely related field
• An ability and willingness to communicate with garden visitors
• Strong work ethic, both independently and as part of a team
• Willingness to work outdoors in summer weather
• Be able and willing to lift at least 50 lbs
• A valid driver's license and verifiable driving record is required
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume by 5:00 p.m. on Friday, May 10, 2019 to:
Delaware Center for Horticulture
1810 N. Dupont St.
Wilmington, DE 19806
Applications will be reviewed as they are received.
Please visit our website to learn more about our organization and to view this posting at: http://www.thedch.org/who-we-are/careers-internships. No phone calls please.