- Volunteers/Volunteer Management
The Delaware Center for Horticulture (DCH) seeks a self-driven, collaborative professional to serve as Horticulture Manager for DCH’s greening and education programs. The horticulture manager is a full-time, exempt (salaried) position reporting to the Director of Programs.
This position provides the necessary planning, direction and oversight to ensure the successful, high-quality implementation of projects and the maintenance of associated contracts. DCH’s horticulture manager is also responsible for the creative design, seasonal display, and maintenance of the gardens at DCH, working collaboratively with DCH’s Branches to Chances® and Delaware River Climate Corps (DRCC) programs and volunteers. This position contributes horticultural expertise to other greening projects, education programs and facility rentals and events.
Success in this role requires a collaborative approach to working with staff across all departments of the organization, as well as an ability to excel at both hands-on and administrative tasks. Candidates should have prior supervisory and project management experience in the landscape industry, along with a proven ability to communicate and interact well with a diverse population. Experience in developing contract proposals, estimating and budget management are also highly preferred skills. DCH seeks
candidates who have a commitment to working with diverse audiences, inclusivity, respect for others, kindness and compassion.
• Direct DCH’s landscape operations, including installation, maintenance, and stewardship of
sponsored and/or contracted landscape projects, through effective planning, delegation
• Oversee DCH’s grounds & gardens, container displays and indoor plant collections by
planning, monitoring and delegating regular tasks to DCH’s landscapes team and
• Provide direction, supervision, and scheduling to landscape team leaders in a manner that
advances the skills and abilities of individual members, with varying degrees of experience
and knowledge, including graduates from the current or previous year's Branches to
Chances® and DRCC programs.
• Plan and execute the activities of grounds/garden volunteers in collaboration with DCH’s
Membership and Volunteer Manager.
• Collaborate with facilities and event staff as needed for events and rentals, parking lot
maintenance, and oversight of contracted snow removal.
• Promote and enforce high standards of horticultural and ecological practice and professional
conduct, communication, attitude, and appearance for all team members, and as a DCH
representative while working in the community.
• Manage applicable sections of the budget to support overall budget projections and
• Promote a culture of equity, inclusion, respect and collaboration with all external and internal members of the DCH staff and community.
• Bachelor's or Associates’ level degree in Plant Science, Horticulture, Landscape
Management and Construction, or related field (relevant professional experience can be
submitted for consideration in lieu of education).
• Pest control operators’ license in Delaware or willingness/ability to obtain upon hire
• Ability to coach team members in all aspects of horticulture from watering, plant ID,
installation and maintenance, to the proper and safe use of landscape related equipment,
including but not limited to push-mowers, chain saws, hand-held power tools, and hand-held
gardening equipment and work vehicles.
• Ability to coach and enforce safe work practices in a variety of settings including public rights-of-way, roadsides, and public landscapes not owned by DCH.
• Current driver’s license, clean driving record and ability to operate all DCH vehicles.
• Good working knowledge of plant identification, plant use and proper horticultural practices.
• Ability to work outside in a variety of weather and landscape conditions.
• Ability to use Microsoft Outlook and Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint) etc. with ability to manage project budgets and track expenses.
• Enthusiasm and interest in workforce development, community greening initiatives and climate resilient projects.
Please send a cover letter, resume and three professional references to:
email@example.com (Please reference DRCC Landscapes Manager in email subject line)
Annual salary range for this position is $34,880 (min) - $66,528 (max), depending on
experience, with anticipated starting salary based on FY23 budget of $45,000 - $50,000.
DCH offers a competitive benefits plan which includes health/dental/vision, health savings
account, paid leave (including vacation, sick time, paid holidays and additional personal
days), retirement plan and matching contributions, and supplemental employee wellness
For information about the Delaware Center for Horticulture’s mission, values and programs, please visit www.thedch.org. Applications will be reviewed as they are received. Position open until filled. No phone calls please.
DCH is an equal-opportunity employer that is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion. DCH prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
DCH’s policies apply to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. The Delaware Center for Horticulture makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.