The Dallas Arboretum and Botanical Garden, Dallas, Texas is one of the top display gardens in the US. We are seeking an experienced grower to work under the management of the VP of Horticulture Operations, and handle all aspects of propagation, including seed and vegetative. Duties include records and documentation of all plant material propagated and subsequent labeling, and responsibility for all day to day greenhouse operations related to trials program and garden plantings. Work on special projects for large garden displays. Manage and supervise staff for appropriate plant propagation techniques; assure products are thriving and ready for transportation to the Arboretum for planting.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
• Determine rates of fertilizers, herbicides, pesticides and fungicides as required by the crops and applies and/or directs the application of them.
• Calculate figures amounts, proportions, percentages and volume in relation to the application of fertilizers, chemicals and water using the principles of algebra and geometry for applications of such procedures.
• Maintain comprehensive records of essential growing procedures and techniques, attributes and results.
• Reviews records and reports to identify trends and to forecast future space and production needs.
• Plan for space allocation based on production reports and sowing schedules.
• Identify, define and solve problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions necessary to identify a wide variety of conditions such as plant diseases, existence of insects, etc
• Monitors growing conditions and oversees changes in humidity, moisture and temperature and cultivation procedures to ensure conformance with quality control standards.
• Develops growing procedures for new species in product line and new cultivation techniques.
• Maintains inventory of needed growing supplies such as fertilizers, pesticides, herbicides and fungicides.
• Order supplies and material following proper PO process.
• Accurately collects greenhouse trail material data/information and seasonally reports data to Trials Manager
• Maintain accurate and current crop schedules for all garden materials grown.
• Timely prepare plant material for pulling and loading to be delivered to DABS for efficiently for timely planting.
• Effectively present information and respond to questions from management and from employees related to growing practices, plant materials, and greenhouse operations.
• Assist with educational and research projects as required. Example: horticultural demonstrations during special events.
• Train greenhouse staff in pesticide and safety and maintenance of records as required by Federal or State regulations.
• Train, evaluate, and effectively manage/schedule personnel; complete required personnel documentation in a timely manner; including volunteers.
• Bachelor of Science degree in Horticulture or equivalent greenhouse experience preferred; three years directly related successful growing experience
• Good verbal and written communication skills; basic computer skills (working knowledge of Excel, MS Office, Outlook, etc.)
• Working knowledge of greenhouse systems and equipment and the ability to troubleshoot and repair highly.
• Knowledge and ability to identify major plant groups and awareness of their culture and growth traits.
• Lifting of up to 30 pounds when necessary and repetitively bend, stoop, and lift within greenhouse facilities as well as across DABS’ property; work in all weather conditions
• Ability to apply pesticides and chemicals; have and maintain Texas pesticide license.
• Ability to work flexible hours, including weekends and holidays
• Driver’s license to operate garden vehicles and to safely drive a box truck.
Submit resume and salary requirements to: email@example.com