Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens, on 295 spectacular shorefront acres in the midcoast town of Boothbay, is one of the nation’s newest, loveliest, and most dynamic public gardens. The Gardens officially opened to the public in 2007. In 2018, we welcomed over 225,000 guests. TripAdvisor named Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens the #1 public garden in the United States.
The mission of Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens is to inspire meaningful connection among people, plants and nature through horticulture, education and research.
This position is a full-time seasonal, entry-level position that begins mid-April and continues through October 31, with the possibility of continuing through December assisting with our holiday lights event. This position will require working one or both weekend days throughout the term of employment. Five days of mutually agreed on time off are available during the summer. The successful candidate is responsible for his/her own transportation to and from the workplace. Assistance finding housing is available.
Under the direction of the Youth and Family Program Coordinator, the Youth Education Program Assistant will be responsible for:
• Scheduling, orienting and hosting visiting school/youth groups.
• Leading classroom lessons, field studies and guided nature walks for school/youth
• Carrying out daily informal educational activities in the Bibby and Harold Alfond
Children’s Garden such as storytime, puppet shows and chicken feeding.
• Facilitating Discovery Carts and Nature/Garden Investigations in the Native Butterfly
House and Alfond Children’s Garden.
• Helping to create new educational programming for families and children.
• Assisting with the daily upkeep of the Alfond Children’s Garden play areas and
• Assisting with the daily care and maintenance of the Learning Garden and greenhouse.
• Supervising the Alfond Children’s Garden on the weekends.
• Assisting with the implementation of gardening and nature themed camps and day
programs for children.
• Planning and carrying out Fairy Friday activities in the Alfond Children’s Garden every
Friday during July and August.
• Leading Cider Saturdays in the Alfond Children’s Garden during the fall.
• Assisting with the organization and implementation of The Great Pumpkin Hunt in
The successful candidate should have some college experience at minimum. Must have some experience in serving the public, working with children and a keen interest in serving the guests of Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens. Strong public speaking skills are required. A background in youth or environmental education, horticulture, botany, agriculture or a related field is strongly desired. Gardening knowledge/interest and general teaching and computer skills are also desirable. We’re seeking a responsible, customer-service oriented, creative, enthusiastic individual who has a love for nature and the outdoors and will enjoy working as part of our education staff team.
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter describing their interest in the position, a resume, and a list of three references to: Erika Huber, Youth and Family Program Coordinator, email@example.com
Application Deadline: February 19, 2019