Responsible for overall horticulture pertaining to the Paul Smith Children's Village at the Cheyenne Botanic Gardens. The Children's Village Horticulturist takes the lead role of maintaining existing landscapes, planning and installing new plant materials and designs, pest management, and propagation. The Children's Village Horticulturist is required to actively engage with children of all ages, including planning and presenting field trips to elementary age children and STEM drop-in classes for the public.
* Lead operational and maintenance tasks for the Children’s Village interior and exterior plantscapes, hardscapes and waterscapes as needed. Perform duties as lead role at the Children’s Village when needed.
* Create, coordinate and implement viable educational programming for all ages. Utilize outside groups and organizations when applicable in such programming. Work with the local and regional schools and be willing to gain a solid understanding of their relatable curriculum.
* Apply horticultural concepts with volunteers and varied clients that result in serving the needs of the garden plantings and displays as well as the growing of food crops to be distributed.
* Creatively, work to interpret all aspects of the Cheyenne Botanic Gardens collection and other areas of public interest with the available funding.
* Stay abreast of trends and innovations in the field of environmental education, horticulture, volunteer management, youth issues, horticultural therapy, botanic garden management, youth and educational issues, school curriculums and community gardening.
* Assist in public communication and interpretation about the natural world and sustainability. This includes participation in lectures, tours, radio, television, electronic media, and other methods of public relations. It also includes the development of interpretive signage, educational environments, and other educational endeavors. Assist public with diverse questions about the Cheyenne Botanic Gardens and horticulture.
* Maintain a safe environment and assist in promoting safety in all aspects of the Cheyenne Botanic Gardens.
* Assist staff with the overall goals and objectives, policies, and priorities of the Botanic Gardens.
* With the assistance of CBG horticulturist staff, maintain plant production for the annual and perennial beds that are the responsibility of the Cheyenne Botanic Gardens. Implement horticultural tasks required to maintain evolving operations in conservatories and greenhouses.
Bachelor’s Degree in Horticulture, Agriculture, Botany or a related field and four years of working experience in a greenhouse horticulture/agriculture position. Special consideration will be given to applicants that have a high level of energy, creativity, skills and experiences working in public gardens, museums, schools, youth programs, and event coordination.
Apply on the City of Cheyenne website: www.cheyennecity.org or go directly to: https://www.paycomonline.net/v4/ats/web.php/jobs/ViewJobDetails?job=2211...