Reporting to the Chief Advancement Officer, the Grants Writer will manage and assist with key aspects of Cheekwood’s fundraising, with primary focus on a) securing foundation, government and corporate support through grant writing and management, and b) identifying new funding opportunities for increased support of Cheekwood and its programs.
• In concert with the Chief Advancement Officer, develop and implement strategy for the cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of foundation donors, with the goal of securing support for key exhibitions, programs, and initiatives.
• Takes lead on writing foundation, government, and corporate grant proposals in deadline-driven environment. Coordinate with colleagues from Education, Gardens, Museum, Finance, and other departments when necessary to collect program information in a timely manner.
• Research and identify new funding opportunities (foundation, corporate, government and/or individual) to support Cheekwood’s operations, programs, and special projects.
• Utilizing research and knowledge of the sector, advise leadership on strategic organizational initiatives that will make Cheekwood a stronger candidate and improve the likelihood of foundation and government funding.
• Develop and maintain annual calendar of grant deadlines including proposal due dates, notification dates, mid-cycle check ins and final report dates.
• Develop revenue goals and budgets for foundation and government giving. Monitor and report on progress regularly.
• Oversee entire grant cycle for funded projects. Liaise with other departments to track progress and use of funds. Oversee promised credit, benefits, and reporting to ensure that Cheekwood fulfills requirements of each funder.
• Lead development and execution of institutional advocacy strategy, attending relevant community meetings and trainings as may be required to support fundraising efforts. Identify opportunities for partnership and participation by local, state, and national elected officials and community advocates.
• Work with Chief Advancement Officer and President/CEO to manage/assist with Cheekwood’s Government Relations
• Serve as Cheekwood representative at foundation and government events as needed, on- and off-site.
The ideal candidate will have a bachelor’s degree and at least 3 years’ experience at a nonprofit organization, including successful grant-writing and reporting experience. This person must possess excellent writing skills, project management and organizational skills. They must prioritize activities and responsibilities and manage multiple projects and concurrent tasks with the ability to work effectively within established deadlines. Possess strong interpersonal and teamwork skills. Ability to work with diverse internal and external constituents. Proficient in Microsoft Outlook, Word, and Excel. Familiarity with donor databases and museum environment a plus. High level of professionalism and confidentiality a must. Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends as required. This position may work remotely initially but will return to the office following the organizations COVID-19 pandemic safety protocol plan.
We offer a competitive benefit package with the opportunity to work in an exceptionally beautiful setting in a dynamic and growing city. Send resume, letter of interest and writing sample to Penny Bruckse, Vice President of Human Resources at Pbruckse@cheekwood.org.
Cheekwood is an equal opportunity employer