Cheekwood is seeking an individual with a strong interest in horticulture to support garden maintenance and uphold the highest standard of excellence.
• Performs all levels of garden and grounds maintenance required to maintain the highest aesthetic standards throughout the property and support seasonal display rotations, especially Blooms. Understands and stewards the Mission Statements for individual gardens and collections.
• Assists the garden supervisor in upholding the historic and current intent of the garden.
• Frequently practices landscaping maintenance and upkeep including, but not limited to weeding, mulching, watering, planting, pruning, pest control, spraying, string trimming, leaf removal, and trash removal.
• Troubleshoots irrigation issues in the garden.
• Maintains bed edges and tree rings.
• Applies a basic understanding of plant physiology and botanical nomenclature.
• Practices safety measures during task execution.
• Maintains water features in assigned garden, if applicable.
• Actively participates in large seasonal exhibitions such as Blooms, and additional Seasonal Garden Projects.
• Supervises seasonal employees and volunteers in support of the garden supervisor.
• Maintains standards for the daily care and storage of garden equipment.
• Safely and responsibly operate and maintain landscape equipment including, but not limited to, backpack blowers, edger’s, gas powered shears, string trimmers, and utility carts.
• Maintains records of work activities in assigned areas of the garden.
• Serves as an external representative of Cheekwood and engages members of the community and industry to exchange information and ideas to support individual and institutional growth.
• Maintains a constant awareness of the guest experience and makes every reasonable effort to ensure the safety and comfort of all persons moving through the garden.
•Understands and upholds the Cheekwood Mission, Vision and Values, and maintains great awareness and flexibility to accommodate and support organizational goals and operations.
Must have the ability to lift, pull, push and carry up to 50lbs; strong customer service skills; willing to work in inclement weather and the availability to work the required hours,7:00 AM to 3:30 PM Monday-Friday. This is a full-time position with competitive benefits.
Send your letter of interest and resume to Penny Bruckse, Vice President of Human Resources, at Pbruckse@cheekwood.org.
Cheekwood is an equal opportunity employer