Seasonal Horticulture Technicians (Multiple Part-time Openings)
Location: Wheaton, IL
About Cantigny Park
Cantigny Park, part of the Robert R. McCormick Foundation, is the 500-acre Wheaton estate of Robert R. McCormick, former editor and publisher of the Chicago Tribune. It is home to the McCormick House, First Division Museum, formal gardens, picnic grounds, walking trails, a Visitors Center with banquet and dining facilities, and a championship golf course.
Created by renowned landscape architect Franz Lipp, the 29 acres of formal gardens at Cantigny are a horticultural masterpiece. Cantigny possesses one of the largest display gardens in the Midwest with more than 160,000 annuals, perennials, ground covers and flowering shrubs and trees. Cantigny’s gardens are a source of education, recreation and inspiration to thousands of visitors annually.
The greenhouse is an impressive 18,000 sq. ft. and produces all of Cantigny's annual flowers and other unique, hard to find plant material. In any of these positions, you will gain hands-on experience with the professional staff of the Cantigny Park Greenhouse who are experts in the field of public horticulture. Cantigny Park is a unique environment where beauty is everywhere.
The Horticulture Department at Cantigny Park currently has several seasonal openings for greenhouse, garden, forestry, turf, and construction technicians. These are exciting opportunities for anyone who loves to work with plants, enjoys working in a creative environment and with people. Candidates must be self-driven and open-minded, with a deep interest in horticulture, ecology, and plant physiology. There are multiple positions available. Please see each summary below to determine which role fits best with your interests and skills.
Greenhouse Technician: Tasks for this position include the everyday management of all aspects of our plant production including glasshouse, Illinois natives, perennial nursery, and annual nursery.
• Performs production functions such as; watering, fertilizing, potting, transplanting, seed sowing, cutting propagation, pinching, spacing, etc. May assist in pest management activities such as scouting
• Responsible for maintaining the production facilities, equipment, storage areas, work areas and plants in a clean, orderly, healthy condition
• Actively participates in various Cantigny activities and functions involving the recreation and education of visitors, such as Greenhouse Open House(s), and miscellaneous tours, classes, demonstrations, departmental functions, etc.
Garden Technician: This position supports the installation and care of the annual flower and perennial gardens.
• Assists in the planting and horticultural maintenance of the annual flower and perennial gardens, including the preparation of the gardens
• Operates and maintains small equipment such as roto-tillers, garden edging tools, etc.
Forestry Technician: This position supports the care of trees and shrubs throughout the gardens and grounds.
• Assist with maintenance of the tree and shrub planting throughout the Gardens and Golf Course including plant removal, installation of new plant material, watering, weeding, trimming, shearing and mulching of plants
• Must be trained and understand the most proper and safe pruning methods set by ANSI A300
• Must be trained and understand the most proper and correct methods and procedures of safety with equipment as set by ANSI Z133.1-2006
• Operates small motorized equipment such as hedge shears and non-motorized arborist equipment including hand tools, shears, pole saws and loppers
• Operates large motorized equipment including chipper, tractors, carts, wood splitter, etc.
• Maintains arborist equipment, including cleaning and sharpening.
Turf Technician: Tasks for this position primarily include turf care.
• Assists with maintenance of lawn, including mowing, trimming, watering, and leaf removal to the standards defined by the Turf Manager
• Operates and maintains large equipment such as lawn mowers, turf vacuum, weed trimmers, leaf blowers, etc. with the utmost understanding of safety
Construction Technician: The focus of this position is on the construction of hard surface walkways, patios, stone walls, along with any emergency duties.
• Installation and repair of hard surface sidewalks, patios, stone walls, etc.
• Repair and reshaping of lawns and periodically over seeding lawns.
• Assists in repairs and installations of lawn and garden irrigation systems.
• Clean walkways, private drive, parking lots and sidewalks of all debris.
• Aid in the care and maintenance of turf; duties include mowing, grass trimming, etc.
• Operate and maintain small equipment such as: concrete saw, grass trimmers, leaf blowers, etc.
• Pursuing or possess a horticulture/biology degree and experience in plant production experience preferred
• Must be safety-conscious and able to operate equipment without injury to themselves, others, property and plants. Provides for personal safety in the workplace by attending and completing all required safety training, knowing and following existing safety rules including the applicable use of personal protection equipment, the proper operation of tools/machinery and proper handling of hazardous materials, and reporting any unsafe conditions to respective supervisor
• Must be physically able to lift and maneuver 50 lbs., work in all types of terrain and adverse weather conditions (including extreme cold and heat), and stand or kneel for long periods of time
• Must be available to work a flexible schedule based on operational needs and weather delays
• Must attend Cantigny Park’s Child Safety Training
• Assist other Horticulture Departments as necessary with supervisor approval
• All offers are contingent upon successful completion of a criminal background check and drug screening
To apply: submit a resume and cover letter online here. Please indicate which position you are applying for in your cover letter.