Position Title: Horticulturist
Reports To: Horticulture Supervisor
Job Category: Full-time, Five days/week, non-exempt
Salary: $17-18/hour, plus a comprehensive benefit package, which includes
medical, dental, vision, 401(k) retirement plan, paid holidays, and generous
This position is responsible for installation, care, and maintenance of plants, landscape
features, and irrigation systems. Provides interpretation of botanical and horticultural subjects
to the general public. May do landscape design and installation, attend staff meetings, be
involved in teaching and writing, and may be assigned propagation duties. Must be able to work one weekend day.
● Planting, watering, weeding, pruning, and fertilizing in areas of responsibility.
● Design, installation, and maintenance of irrigation systems.
● Ensuring accurate accession records of the botanical collection within assigned areas of
● Interpretation of botanical and horticultural subjects to the general public.
● Apply pesticides as needed, guided by Integrated Pest Management concepts.
● Use and maintain hand and power tools.
● May do landscape design and installation, and may be assigned propagation duties.
● Participate in periodic plant sales, field trips, and off-grounds work.
● Other duties may be assigned.
● Bachelor's degree from four-year college or university; or four or more years related
experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
● Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of
managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
● Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in
written, oral, or diagram form.
● Ability to read, understand, follow and enforce safety procedures
● Ability to interpret and complete landscape plans
● Basic computer software knowledge to include word processing, data base, and
● Knowledge of plant taxonomy and Sonoran desert region flora desirable
● Must have access to mobile phone and familiarity with email
● Must pass background check
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
● Valid Arizona Driver's License or ability to obtain
● Satisfactory 39-month DMV report
● ACLP certification required if one does not hold a Bachelor’s Degree in a related field
● Holds or is willing to obtain an Arizona Pesticide Applicators License and become a
● Outdoor work environment including exposure to extreme temperatures, rain, dust,
allergens, insects, wild animals, and sun
● Must be able to move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift or move more than 60
Boyce Thompson Arboretum (BTA), an independent non-profit organization, is located just
outside of Phoenix, Arizona. At 372 acres, it is the largest and oldest botanical garden in the
state of Arizona, and holds a collection of 4,030 taxa and 30,000+ plants. The Arboretum brings together plants from the world’s varied deserts and dry lands, displaying them alongside native Sonoran Desert vegetation in the stunning Superstition Mountains. BTA is an equal opportunity employer. www.btarboretum.org. To apply: send Cover Letter and Resume to Lynne Nemeth at Lynne.Nemeth@btarboretum.org.