Background and Mission
Bowman’s Hill Wildflower Preserve (the Preserve) was founded in 1934 with a mission to inspire the appreciation and use of native plants by serving as a sanctuary and an educational resource for conservation and stewardship. It is a member-supported nonprofit organization that has come to be recognized as a local treasure, a state resource and a national institution. Known regionally for its community-based programming, it is considered a regional source for wildflowers and is the only accredited museum in the nation focused exclusively on native flora.
The Marketing and Communications Coordinator is a crucial part of the Preserve staff, responsible for generating awareness, visibility and interest for the Preserve and its mission, including the Preserve’s Native Plant Nursery, educational programs, membership and special events. Over the next 12 to 18 months, this key position will be instrumental in strategically expanding and growing the Preserve’s reach to new audiences.
This position oversees, develops and implements the Preserve’s communications in collaboration with staff, naturalists and volunteers, utilizing various channels such as email communications, advertising, the bhwp.org website, print, regional news outlets and social media. The successful candidate will be a creative self-starter with excellent time management and organizational skills, passionate about the Preserve’s mission, and proficient with most communication platforms and WordPress. The Marketing and Communications Coordinator reports directly to the Executive Director and is supported by the Marketing and Communications Committee, which includes experienced marketing and writing professionals.
This is a permanent part-time position of 24 hours/week that may include weekend, nighttime and holiday work. The Preserve is open on most holidays, including Memorial Day, July Fourth and Labor Day. The Preserve is closed on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day.
Visit us at www.bhwp.org for more information.
The Preserve is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to non-discriminatory policies. All decisions regarding recruitment, hiring, promotion and all other terms of employment will be made without regard to race, color, religion, age, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin or ancestry, marital status, status as a qualified handicapped or disabled individual, or any other impermissible factor in accordance with applicable laws.
• Create, edit and monitor content of bhwp.org, including text, video and images to keep it current, technically accurate and actively promoting the Preserve’s mission and ongoing activities
• Use analytics to monitor web traffic and SEO, including the ability to analyze complex metrics and translate them into clear, actionable recommendations
• Utilize the Preserve’s established style guide, branding guidelines and voice for consistency and technical accuracy
• Coordinate with web designer/host contractor on improvements and problem-solving
• Develop an ongoing, robust social media presence and ongoing strategy to generate awareness and engagement, utilizing Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and LinkedIn
• Monitor social media comments and engage with followers
• Establish metrics and monitor platform progress
• Research trends in order to position the Preserve ahead of significant changes in the social media environment.
• Recommend and execute advertising opportunities to provide optimized coverage for the Preserve and its programs
• Track and provide feedback for campaign effectiveness.
• Oversee the development and production of all promotional print materials.
• Write and distribute program, special event and other news releases
• Manage media requests for TV, radio and print
• Generate public relations opportunities through awareness and networking with travel and tourism organizations such as Visit Bucks County, Delaware River Towns Chamber and Greater Philadelphia Gardens.
• Develop annual departmental budget in collaboration with the Executive Director and the Marketing and Communication Committee
• Oversee, develop and execute marketing & communications programs to the budget and schedule in alignment with the Preserve’s strategic plan.
Other functions as assigned
- B.A., B.S., or equivalent in public relations, marketing or similar field
- 5+ years of professional marketing & communications experience
- Superior written communication and storytelling skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and successfully meet deadlines
- Proficiency with Google Suite, Microsoft Office, Mailchimp, WordPress, Google Analytics, Adobe and all major social media platforms
- Experience with graphic design software such as InDesign or Canva a plus
- Knowledge of Mid-Atlantic regional flora helpful.
Please send a cover letter, resume and references to:
Peter Couchman, Executive Director