Bok Tower Gardens, a National Historic Landmark celebrating its 90th anniversary, is seeking a full-time Nursery Assistant. The Nursery strives to produce most of the plant material used in the organization, except large trees, turf, and large quantities of specialty plant material. We propagate plant material from seed, cuttings, and divisions, and cultivated in the nursery. The individual chosen as the assistant in the nursery will have the opportunity to propagate, grow, and display annuals, bromeliads, orchids, perennials, seasonal color, vegetables, and woody ornamentals, as well as assist in maintaining the nursery. This position works Friday – Tuesday, 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Job Summary: Assist with the daily operations of Bok Tower Gardens’ nursery, as instructed by the Nursery Manager. This will include hand-watering, scouting for pests and disease, weeding, potting up, cleaning, and moving plants and materials and more. This individual will work with both staff and volunteers to produce and maintain plant material for the Gardens landscape, such as annuals, perennials and woody plants. Coordinate, encourage and cultivate a volunteer force in the nursery. Apply pesticides and fertilizers as needed in the greenhouse, shade house and outdoor nursery. Maintain the nursery grounds including weeding, repairing weed cloth, blowing, electric weed trimming, pruning and moving plants. Provide floral arrangement for special events as scheduled by the Director of Horticulture. Assist with developing and carrying out special projects and events related to horticulture, education and marketing.
• Associates or Bachelor’s degree in nursery production, horticulture or related field
• Minimum 1-3 years’ experience nursery work or related field
• Florida Pesticide Applicators license, or ability to obtain one within three (3) months of hire
• Valid driver’s license required ability to operate various types of power equipment
• Ability to perform strenuous physical work outside in Florida weather year-round (heat, humidity, rain, cold, etc.)
• Ability to understand and interpret work instruction
• Ability to lift at least 60 lbs.
• Must be comfortable working around insects, snakes and various wildlife that may be found in and around the nursery and Gardens
Bok Tower Gardens offers a highly competitive salary and excellent benefit package.
Interested candidates may submit resumes and letters of interest by accessing our careers website: https://boktowergardens.applicantpool.com/jobs/ This position will remain open until filled.
Bok Tower Gardens (BTG) is a Drug-Free workplace and an Equal Opportunity Employer – M/F/Vets/Disabled. We base all aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or discharge, on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.