Bok Tower Gardens is currently seeking to fill a Land Steward Assistant position. This full-time, field position is responsible for controlling invasive plant infestations and related land management activities on Bok Tower Garden conservation lands. Work includes using a backpack sprayer while walking or utilizing a UTV or tractor mounted spray system and documenting treatment status using GPS. This position assists with the maintenance of the Gardens’ buffers and encourages wildlife in the natural areas by creating habitats. As such, this position may be exposed to extremes in temperatures, humidity, as well as a variety of pests and wildlife – both dangerous and domestic.
• Assists the Land Manager with the Pine Ridge Preserve areas, nature trails, open fields, and restoration lands by using prescribed fire, herbicide application, tree removal, mowing, and restoration planning
• Assists with the maintenance of Gardens’ buffers and wildlife pond
• Encourages wildlife in the natural areas by creating habitats (nest boxes, brush piles, etc.)
• At the discretion of the Land Manager, may assist with the Conservation Program with field work and various projects which will vary from light carpentry work to field research work to seed collection of native species for restoration
• Under the direction of the Land Manager, works with the Horticulture Manager for group project needs in the Gardens
• Responsible in the use and maintenance of tools, equipment, and materials; performs minor maintenance, lubrication, and cleaning of power equipment; refers more serious problems to the Horticulture Manager or Mechanic
• Mixes, measures, loads and safely applies herbicide products pursuant to label directions and calibrates application equipment.
• Calculates and records treatment acreage using GPS and accurately completes required paperwork.
• Operates UTV, front-end loader, bush hog mower, pickup truck, chainsaw, and various herbicide application equipment.
• Works independently or assists Land Manager with fieldwork and completes assigned computer tasks.
• In the absence of the Land Manager, coordinates and oversees volunteer work days
• High School Diploma or equivalent preferred; plus
• Knowledge of Florida ecosystems desirable; plus
• Minimum of two years previous hands-on experience in maintaining Florida natural areas preferred; plus
• Experience in maintenance of Florida natural areas with the ability to operate small to large power equipment (i.e. tractor, chainsaw, front-end loader, backpack sprayer, lawn equipment)
• Experience in the use of prescribed fire, basic plant identification, and the use of herbicides
• Experience in writing work reports and record-keeping
• Current Pesticide Applicators License or the ability to obtain within six months of hire date
• Current Prescribed Burner certification or ability to obtain
• Valid Drivers’ License
• Work may be conducted independently or as a crew.
• Occasional after hours, weekend and/or holiday work required to meet departmental deadlines, to host volunteer workdays or to provide staff support for BTG special events.
• Continuous communication and/or interaction with staff, volunteers, visitors, and management
• Work is performed in the field often in remote areas under adverse weather conditions. May be exposed to extremes in temperature and humidity, as well as a variety of pests (including mosquitoes and ticks), and wildlife (including coyote, snakes, bobcats, opossum, fox, owls, etc.).
• Work activity consists of continuous repetitive tasks using hands and feet (such as walking long distances, using a machete, backpack sprayer and hand pulling unwanted vegetation).
• Frequently lifts and carries 30 pound objects (backpack sprayer), with an occasional requirement to lift and carry objects weighing up to 75 pounds.
• Must be able to frequently bend, squat and reach above shoulder level.
• Must be able to drive an automobile, UTV or tractor for two or more hours at a time.
Bok Tower Gardens offers a highly competitive salary. This position will remain open until filled.
Interested candidates may submit resumes and letters of interest by accessing our careers website: https://boktowergardens.applicantpool.com/jobs/
Bok Tower Gardens (BTG) is a Drug-Free workplace and an Equal Opportunity Employer – M/F/Vets/Disabled. We base all aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or discharge, on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.
BTG participates in E-Verify. E-Verify® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. This business uses E-Verify in its hiring practices to achieve a lawful workforce.