Bow Tower Gardens is widely recognized as a premier public garden, providing extraordinary visitor experiences, horticultural artistry, musical excellence, leadership in conservation, and innovative programs. We are looking for talent to join our Horticulture Department as Groundskeeper.
The Groundskeeper is responsible for the mowing and weed-eating of major lawn areas and applying herbicides and lawn fertilizers. Assist in gardening duties which may include annual and permanent plantings, pathway maintenance, water bodies, lawns, wildlife, and garden furnishings.
- Inspects assigned area daily to assess maintenance needs:
o Determine lawn needs – water stress, disease and damage, growth decline, pruning
needs, and general health of lawns; reports major problems to Garden Supervisor
o Determine maintenance needs – mowing, herbicides, and irrigation
o Maintain labeling on specimen plants; report damage or missing labels to the
- Communicate daily with Garden Supervisor or Director of Horticulture for special daily work assignments or garden concerns; schedules or concerns may change throughout the year based on mowing schedules, weather concerns or possible design changes by the Director
- Responsible for the use and maintenance of tools, equipment, and materials; performs minor daily maintenance, lubrication, and cleaning of power equipment; refers more serious problems to the Garden Supervisor or Mechanic.
- Responsible for maintaining required knowledge of established garden plants and understanding the cultural requirements to maintain their growth and cultivation.
- Demonstrates a continual positive effort to maintain effective working relationships with staff, volunteers, and management.
- High School Diploma or equivalent preferred;
- Minimum of two years landscaping, greens keeping, or parks and gardens ground experience preferred.
- Previous experience in garden or grounds maintenance with the ability to operate various types of power equipment (lawnmower, front-end loader, tractors, etc.)
- Interest in and willingness to learn Central Florida horticulture and the aesthetic ethic of the Gardens with an emphasis on turf.
- Ability to obtain a turf and fertilizer BMP within one year date of hire.
Please visit our Career homepage to complete your application of employment: https://boktowergardens.applicantpool.com/jobs/556612-120045.html