Located at 8,200 ft., Betty Ford Alpine Gardens is North America’s highest botanic garden with a world class collection of alpine and rock garden plants. Interns participate in a variety of learning activities in the Gardens, participate in field trips to regional public gardens and conduct plant identification outings on mountain hikes. In addition, interns gain valuable hands on experience working with the volunteers and learning specific gardening techniques from garden staff.
We are currently seeking 2 interns for this position. Internships are generously endowed by the Frechette Family Foundation.
By working alongside Garden staff, the intern will advance their horticulture and leadership skills.
- 3 month position, beginning mid-May through August
- Monday – Friday with occasional weekend duties
- Hands-on garden maintenance including irrigation maintenance and arboriculture
- Study of alpine plants, plant care, design and garden management
- Coordinating and training of garden volunteers
- Assist with identifying and labeling plant collection
- Learn to identify a variety of alpine plants, perennials, shrubs, and trees
- Work with staff on inventory of plant collections including some plant collections data management software
- Assist on large garden projects such as designing and renovation of existing garden areas
- Collect seed of alpine and rock garden plants in-situ & ex-situ
- Assist garden staff on research and conservation projects
- Assist with seed propagation
- Complete an individual summer project to be given at start of internship
The right candidate will have a passion for horticulture, public gardens, and leadership.
- Practical experience in horticulture required
- Current enrollment, degree in horticulture or candidates looking to continue their - horticulture education
- Passion for plants and gardening with a focus on public horticulture
- Candidate will demonstrate a commitment to working in the field of horticulture
- Attention to detail and organization
- Understanding of dichotomous keys and plant taxonomy
- Ability to work outside in variable weather conditions
- Be able to lift 50 lbs or more
- Works well in team setting and communicates efficiently
- Fill out application and upload resume and cover letter here at http://bettyfordalpinegardens.org/internship-application-form/
- Send resume and cover letter with 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org
Application deadline is January 26, 2019
Housing & Compensation
$10.20/hr @ 40 hours per week
Housing assistance is provided & close to the Gardens
Personal vehicle not required but suggested