Position Summary: This position will be the lead staff person responsible for securing and directing all annual and capital gifts for Bellingrath Gardens and Home (BGH). Through active coordination with the Executive Director, the Development Director will be a lead figure reaching out to the greater Mobile community and surrounding communities to elevate and enhance BGH’s physical campus, programs, outreach, and reputation. This is a new position at Bellingrath, and the selected candidate will be able to create and develop a high-powered Development office (and future team) at a renowned and beloved cultural institution.
About Bellingrath Gardens and Home: Bellingrath Gardens and Home is the historic 65-acre estate and home of Walter D. Bellingrath and Bessie Morse Bellingrath, opened to the public in 1932. The Bellingrath-Morse Foundation was established by Mr. Bellingrath in 1949 on his 80th birthday to perpetuate the Gardens and Home as a “permanent and fitting memorial” to his wife’s “artistry and genius.” Today, visitors to Bellingrath Gardens and Home stroll through the vibrant and ever-changing estate garden and tour the historic home, built in 1935 and filled with the original furnishings and pieces collected by the two founders. Bellingrath is Alabama’s oldest public garden, remaining relevant today through its many varied programs, including its award-winning “Magic Christmas in Lights” holiday festival.
Primary duties of this position include:
• Develop, publish, and implement a Development/Fundraising plan that includes major gifts, corporate sponsors, planned giving, grants, and a potential capital campaign for ongoing BGH planning and development. Utilize all means of communications including direct-mail, special events, personal contact
• Identify, select, and implement appropriate database software for purchase by BGH
• Participate on staff leadership team, collaborating with peer staff members on related activities and events
• Develop and manage a budget, in coordination with the Controller
• Oversee prospect research and review
• Cultivate, solicit and steward annual foundation giving
• Develop and maintain a master calendar for all events and deadlines
• Cultivate existing and new grant opportunities and write proposals and applications
• Conduct extensive offsite meetings with existing and potential donors in the community to garner ongoing support for BGH
• Manage and expand the BGH annual fund program
• Collaborate with Membership Manager/CRM on corporate sponsorship and membership programs goals
• Undertake public appearances and speaking engagements to promote BGH to the community and prospective donors
• Engage, inspire, and work with volunteers to accomplish Development goals
• Identify and implement gift recognition policies and programs with Executive Director
• Train all members of development team, including volunteers and fellow staff
• Other tasks and duties as assigned
Qualifications for this position include:
• Bachelor’s degree required, but a Master’s degree is preferred
• Minimum of 5 years of professional fundraising experience, including progressive growth of responsibilities and accomplishments over career.
• Knowledge and experience with fundraising techniques, including major gift solicitation and acquisition
• Connections with and understanding of Mobile, Alabama area and neighboring region preferred but not required
• Strong leadership skills
• Being a self-starter and bearing a strong desire to get “out of the office” to build external relationships
• Excellence in written and oral communication
• Strong understanding of motivations behind individual philanthropic giving
• Ability to work independently and as a team member
• Demonstration of professional behavior and conduct appropriate to the position
• Ability to think strategically in seeing the “big picture” while still having attention to detail
• Desire to show and exhibit a passion for Bellingrath Gardens and Home, its history, and its future
• Strong working knowledge of fundraising software platforms
• An understanding of how capital campaigns are envisioned, developed, and completed
• Key qualities include: charisma/charm, enthusiasm, mastery of the subject, confidence, flexibility, a sense of humor, and gravitas.
How to Apply: Send cover letter, current resume, and a list of three (3) references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications must be received by January 22, 2021.
Bellingrath Gardens and Home is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of an applicant’s or employee’s race, color, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, veteran or military status, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other legally protected basis under applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. Bellingrath Gardens and Home makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.