This Seasonal Gardener (Horticulture Operations) position is a four-month term appointment. The successful candidates will join the Arboretum’s Horticulture Department in the stewardship of one of the finest and most significant woody plant collections in North America. The Seasonal Gardeners work alongside the Arboretum’s team of Horticulturists responsible for holistic care of their assigned collection and landscape areas. Seasonal Gardeners assist with such tasks including execution of IPM practices, transplanting, pruning, weed management, mulching and composting, lawn maintenance and establishment, leaf clean-up, watering, invasive species management, and various types of landscape maintenance and collection renovation projects. The Arboretum seeks a dynamic and diverse group of individuals to fill seasonal positions. Hourly wage: $21.00. Benefits Eligible Position.
Assist Horticulture staff members with various tasks including:
• Weeding, mulching, and brush chipping
• IPM practices
• Mowing, string trimming, and leaf clean-up
• Litter management
• Operation and maintenance of various equipment
• Landscape maintenance and collection renovation projects as needed
• Other related job duties as assigned
Candidates MUST meet the following basic qualifications in order to be considered for this role:
Bachelor’s or Associate’s Degree in arboriculture, horticulture, or related field preferred. A minimum of one (1) year experience in the field of horticulture or a related field may be substituted for the educational requirement. Must have and maintain a valid driver’s license and acquire a D.O.T. Medical Examiner’s Certificate as part of the pre-hiring process.
• Must be able to perform strenuous manual labor, including frequent lifting/carrying/transporting heavy loads up to 50 lbs
• Required to work in all weather conditions in all seasons
• Demonstrate performance in the safe & proper operation of the Arboretum’s equipment
• Essential staff for weather related emergencies impacting the grounds
• Related job duties as assigned