Opportunity: The Arboretum at Penn State is offering paid part-time (20 hour/week) and full-time (40 hour/week)summer internships for undergraduates, graduate students, and recent graduates interested in career paths in environmental education. Positions are for 14-week terms, with start and end dates negotiable.
Experience: This internship provides a hands-on introduction to outdoor, place-based education in a children’s garden setting. Work under the guidance of the childhood education coordinator as we develop nature- themed programs and activities related to central Pennsylvania geology, history, and culture. The program will also expose interns to the world of public gardens, integrating event planning, donor support, volunteer management, and public relations skills.
• Develop, facilitate, and evaluate outdoor learning experiences, educational activities, materials, and programs for children (ages 3-12).
• Support tours and events held in the Arboretum and children’s garden for visiting school groups, community tours, and university functions. Act as a “garden guide” for informal visitors.
• Coordinate volunteers and organize weekly programs and activities in the children’s garden.
Applicants should be graduates or currently enrolled students in a degree program in Education, Health and Human Development, Recreation and Parks Tourism Management, Environmental Education, or fields of study related to outdoor education. Preference will be given to candidates who have an interest in education and can explain how this opportunity will help them to reach their career goals.
• Applications must be submitted electronically via the Penn State Jobs website at https://hr.psu.edu/careers.
• This position is listed as #: REQ_0000009486.
• Please make certain to include a cover letter and resume in application materials.
• Instructions for using the PSU Jobs website are available at https://hr.psu.edu/content/frequently-asked-questions-careers.
• Two letters of reference
• Current Pennsylvania Child Abuse, Criminal History Clearance, FBI Fingerprint Clearance, and completion of the Penn State Building a Safe Penn State online training (instructions for completing these will be shared after the interview).
Qualified applicants will be contacted for interviews to be scheduled beginning in March 2021.