Our Association is seeking you! We hope to find someone who blends their unique talents into a desire to help guide the future of a thriving organization with other talented people where literally, we all grow. The leader of our operations will oversee several vital parts of the Association’s day-to-day activities. They guide Association policies and procedures, help implement administrative functions, and facilitate collaborative projects to ensure the Association’s organizational excellence. We’re looking for a person who embraces our core values of grow thoughtfully, collaborate authentically, elevate our voice, and cultivate passion for the hundreds of gardens, thousands of people, and billions of plants we represent, all through a lens of IDEA (inclusion, diversity, equity, and accessibility) principles.
Key responsibilities for the position include all phases of human resources management from recruitment to retention to development and celebration, as well as benefits administration and risk management. In addition, a combination of your unique skills in one or more areas (finance or information technology) will allow you to stand out in a field of otherwise suitable candidates.
Salary and Requirements
• The position is salaried, full-time, exempt from overtime
• Starting salary range is $68,000-$95,000 and is highly dependent on skills, knowledge, and background
• Must possess a valid driver’s license and pass required background checks upon hiring
• This position may be eligible for telecommuting in accordance with the Association’s telework policy.
Organizational Culture / Human Resources
• Professionally encourages our talented team toward common goals
• Fosters a positive, service-oriented workplace culture that lives out the Associations core values and advances IDEA principles through its operations
• Nurtures best practices, proactively improves and evolves internal systems • Serves as a Staff Liaison to appropriate Professional Communities and/or Association Committee(s)
• Manages a comprehensive performance management system and a suite of employee benefits in a manner that attracts, develops, and retains talent
• Ensures compliance with all employment regulations (e.g. DOL, ERISA, OSHA and HIPAA) as well as wage and hour laws guidance, federal and state employment tax registrations, and other filings
Finance & Accounting
• Oversight of financial team and accounting systems that support accurate financial reporting and informed decision making, following sound internal controls and procedures
• Ensures integration/coordination with association financial and membership management software to facilitate monthly reconciliations and other related processes
• Coordinates annual audit and manages auditor relationship, ensures compliance with all federal and state regulations regarding charitable organization filings
• Key partner in forming the Association’s Annual Budget, aligning it with our strategic goals, and a resource to staff during its execution
• Assists the ED in matters of finance strategy and policy - investment management, loan procurement, vendor selections/relationships, and contract management over a diverse range of Association activities Information Technology
• Staff and IT contractor point of contact for office equipment and cloud-based information technology platforms
• In collaboration, recommends advancements in the Association’s technological capabilities to enable better member access and engagement with Association programs and benefits
• A champion and conduit for our Association Staff to increase their technology capabilities
Skills and Abilities:
• Exercises sound judgment, strict standards of confidentiality, and professionalism toward all internal and external customers with grace and ease
• Detail-oriented, but also strategic, ensuring overall Association goals are met
• Motivates teams that do, and do not, directly report to them; a data-informed thought leader
• Masterful with MS Office365 Suite software, and knows or can quickly add other Association membership and accounting software (iMIS, Quickbooks, or etc.) into their portfolio of skills
• Strong organizational writing and editing skills to communicate Association needs to others
• Takes initiative, prioritizes and delegates tasks, and delivers them consistently within deadlines and budgets.
• Willing to travel regularly (10-15%), and able to lift at least 25 pounds.
• Internal: Reports directly to the Executive Director and serves in a key Senior Leadership role that will interact and collaborate with all staff and the Association’s Board of Directors
• External: Interacts with Association members, Committee and Community Chairs, Federal and corporate partners, outside vendors, and the general public
• The ideal candidate will have at least 5 years demonstrated experience in non-profit management, human resources, finance, operations, and/or a related field through work history and/or education. Must possess at least 3 years of previous management, supervisory, or leadership experience in a paid work-related capacity.
• Candidate must possess a knowledge of not-for-profit and/or membership-based organizations
• Prior experience with event management and support is desired
• Strong passion, familiarity, or interest in public gardens, public horticulture, museums, and/or arts and culture is a plus.
Please apply by sending a brief (250 words max.) cover letter and a resume/list of experiences and applicable skills to: email@example.com by Wednesday July 28, 2021. A full job description is available upon request. The American Public Gardens Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We welcome your application and interest. You can find our diversity and inclusion principles and learn more about our work culture here: https://www.publicgardens.org/about-us/IDEA and more about our Association here: https://www.publicgardens.org/about-us/american-public-gardensassociation.