Part-time, 20-25 hours per week
Non-exempt, eligible for benefits available to part-time employees
$25.00 to $30.00 per hour, depending on experience
Onsite with potential for remote work in accordance with the Association’s telework policy
The American Public Gardens Association is the leading professional organization for the field of public horticulture. We champion and advance public gardens as leaders, advocates, and innovators in the conservation and appreciation of plants. Our national network of 9,000 garden professionals is supported by our small (but growing!) staff of 15 team members. We are a small team accomplishing big things – and we want you to join us! Do you love problem solving and working through challenges? Do you love working with numbers and data? Do you want to work with colleagues whose dedication matches your own? If so, you’re in the right place!
The Accountant is responsible for day-to-day accounting, including journal entries, processing invoices and payments, record keeping, monthly close reconciliations, and assisting with preparation of financial statements and reports. The Accountant reports to the Associate Director of Operations and works with other in-person and remote staff. The Accountant also interacts with customers and vendors via phone and/or email.
• Accounts Receivable: invoicing, processing payments, creating bank deposits, etc.
• Accounts Payable: cash disbursements, vouchers, expense recording, vendor maintenance, preparing checks for signature, reconciling credit card receipts and statements, etc.
• General Ledger Maintenance: making adjusting journal entries, reconciling accounting file to membership database, preparing asset and liability reconciliations, etc.
• Annual Tax Filings and Audit: creating state and local tax accounts, assisting in preparation of annual tax filings, and assisting in annual audit preparation
• Grant Tracking and Financial Reporting: tracking grant expenditures and financial reporting requirements, invoicing for grant reimbursements, etc.
• Other duties as assigned
• Demonstrate 2-3 years of experience through skills, certifications, work history and/or education in accounting or similar field
• Working knowledge of accounting principles and financial controls
• Proficient with QuickBooks software; QuickBooks online preferred
• Proficient using MS Office Suite with strong MS Excel skills
• Familiarity with accounting for nonprofits and membership organizations; knowledge of GAAP relating to federal grants strongly preferred
Skills and Abilities
• Able to type, enter data, and operate a 10-key calculator
• Customer service-oriented with strong written and verbal communication skills
• Thorough attention to detail and high standard of accuracy
• Sound judgement, critical thinking, confidentiality, and professionalism
• Able to work independently and take direction, while managing multiple projects and competing demands
• Strong organizational and project management skills
• Must have reliable transportation with the ability to travel for work purposes; occasional local travel may be required
• Must be willing to undergo all appropriate background checks as a condition of employment
This position operates in a professional office environment with moderate noise. While performing this role, the employee is regularly required to talk, hear, and use vision. The employee is frequently required to sit, walk, use hands and fingers, and reach with hands and arms. The employee may occasionally be requested to lift a minimum of 20 pounds.
Send your resume and a brief cover letter stating your interest in the position to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Application – Accountant”. As part of our commitment to IDEA principles, we request that you omit the following information from your resume:
• Headshot or other photos
• Names of schools, colleges, or universities attended; please only include degrees or certifications earned
• Graduation dates
• Dates of employment; please only include employer, role and length of service
• Current address; please keep in mind that the selected candidate will be required to regularly work from the office in Kennett Square, PA
Please be aware that you may be asked to provide this information later in the interview process.
A detailed job description is available upon request. Please email email@example.com.
The American Public Gardens Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer.