Status: Full-Time (30 hrs./week, with 10+ additional 7.5 hr. shifts), Hourly, Non-Exempt, Indefinite
Reports to: Associate Director, Horticulture & River Farm
Reporting to the Associate Director, Horticulture and River Farm (AD), the Groundskeeper assists with the care and maintenance of the American Horticultural Society’s (AHS) River Farm. As the Groundskeeper, the incumbent will work closely with the AD and the Lead Gardener to care for and execute seasonal plantings, renovate existing garden spaces, maintain existing plantings, and provide general maintenance and upkeep of the buildings and facilities at River Farm. Working independently and alongside interns, volunteers, and additional horticulture staff, the Groundskeeper will assist with the daily maintenance and upkeep of the property. This position is classified as essential and the incumbent must participate in all emergencies, including but not limited to: storm cleanup, ice removal, and snow removal. Availability for a flexible schedule, including evenings, weekends, and holiday work, as needed, will be required to successfully fulfill the obligations of the position.
• Performs general landscaping and gardening tasks, including weeding, invasive control, mulching, watering, edging, pruning, planting, and pest control.
• Safely operates and assists with the maintenance and minor repair of all grounds vehicles and power equipment. To include tractors, loaders, Gators, blowers, chainsaws, etc.
• Confidently works alongside horticulture and non-horticulture staff, interns, and volunteers.
• Assists AHS staff with the execution of special events and programs, including setup and tear down, and preparing the River Farm gardens, buildings, and grounds.
• Assists with and performs snow and ice removal from roads, parking lots, walks and critical garden areas.
• Communicates effectively and maintains a positive attitude and work relationship with all AHS employees, interns, volunteers, and the public by interacting in a manner that is professional, respectful, and helpful.
• Assists with or performs minor building maintenance and repairs, including painting, plumbing, and carpentry.
• Conducts work in accordance with all procedures and guidelines of the American Horticultural Society and River Farm.
• Documents all work and projects in accordance with departmental standards.
• Works both independently and as part of a team, with minimum supervision.
• Performs other duties as assigned by immediate supervisor.
• One-year experience in professional landscaping and/or gardening, or equivalent experience. Experience with public gardens preferred.
• Experience with the safe operation and care of assorted landscaping and farm equipment, including but not limited to: trucks, tractors, backpack blowers, string trimmers, chainsaws, golf carts/Gators, powered shears, ladders, backpack sprayers, hand tools, and general garage equipment.
• High school education or equivalent.
• Must possess a valid driver’s license.
• Must currently hold, or be able to acquire, a Virginia Pesticide Applicators License within 6 months of hire.
• Proficient understanding of Microsoft Office Suite, including Outlook and Word.
• Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills. Bilingual English & Spanish preferred.
• Ability to independently lift 50 pounds.
• Ability to work outdoors in inclement weather, including, rain, snow, and extreme hot and cold temperatures.
• Ability to push, pull, climb, dig, work on uneven surfaces, and perform manual labor for extended periods of time.
• Must be legally able to work in the United States.
Assorted landscaping and farm equipment, including but not limited to:
Truck and dump-trailer, tractors, brush-hogs, backpack blowers, string trimmers, chainsaws, golf carts/Gators, powered shears, ladders, hand tools, and general garage equipment.
To submit your resume please send resume to:
Executive Assistant & Office Administrator