Position Title: Horticulture Supervisor/Estate Gardener
Hours: Full-time, 40 hours per week (Generally M-F 7:30am – 4pm)
Historic private estate in San Antonio, Texas in search of experienced Horticultural Supervisor/Estate Gardener to assume primary responsibility for a recently completed 2 1/2 acre “New Perennial” garden. The position will collaborate with the owner and designer to insure the garden evolves and matures as intended. The ideal candidate will be energetic and passionate about working with plants in new ways, have keen knowledge of best horticultural practices and techniques, a refined design sense, an eye for detail and an excellent work ethic.
• Daily care of the gardens including pruning, weeding, mulching, watering, grooming/deadheading, edging, trimming and debris clean up.
• Maintain an integrated pest management (IPM) program.
• Plant, transplant, divide and maintain the collection of herbaceous material.
• Use of power equipment for the maintenance of lawns and gardens including: lawn mowers, string trimmers, hedge trimmers, skid-steer, etc.
• While the Horticultural Supervisor/Estate Gardener’s primary responsibility is the “New Perennial” planting, this position will work in other areas of the estate with other gardeners as required.
• Bachelor’s degree in horticulture with an emphasis in ornamental horticulture (preferred) or a related field is required.
• Minimum 3 years experience working with herbaceous perennials in public or private environment
• Proven track record and experience with the care of gardens and landscapes.
• Working knowledge of best horticultural practices and techniques.
• Proficiency in proper pruning techniques for a variety of ornamental shrubs and trees.
• Strong organizational and communication skills and experience working in a collaborative culture. Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
• Valid Texas driver’s license (within three months of hire).
• Have or be willing to obtain a Texas Pesticide Applicators License (within six months of hire).
• Landscape project management experience helpful but not required.
• Conversational Spanish is helpful.
• Work outside, year-round, at a productive pace in South Texas weather conditions.
Please email Martha Lopez at: