Three to six month terms available with flexible start date for seasonal operational needs
Nestled in a neighborhood near the heart of San Antonio, Texas, is a private 20-acre estate with a growing horticultural footprint in the city. Built in 1935, this historic house and grounds is endowed with over 200 stunning live oaks, a south lawn anchored with a traditional topiary garden, contemporary perennial gardens, and a year-round vegetable garden amongst its hedges and turf. As part of a dedicated horticultural team the Seasonal Gardener is responsible for performing skilled work in planting, fertilizing, hedging, and cultivating trees, lawns and shrubs. Perform general grounds maintenance work involving the operation of grounds equipment to maintain the unique artistic landscape on property. Exhibiting an energetic and passionate work ethic about working with plants, the Seasonal Gardener should have knowledge of horticultural practices and techniques. The position reports to the Director of Horticulture.
• Daily care of the gardens including pruning, weeding, mulching, watering, grooming/deadheading, fertilizing, mowing, edging, trimming, and debris clean up.
• Prepares grounds for planting by amending the soil, tilling, and adding fertilizer.
• Plants annuals, perennials, shrubs, and trees according to standard horticultural practices.
• Use of power equipment for the maintenance of lawns and gardens including lawn mowers, string trimmers, hedge trimmers, etc.
• Performs related duties as assigned
• Minimum 1 year of experience working (public or private garden environment preferred).
• Working knowledge of best horticultural practices and techniques.
• Strong organizational and communication skills and experience working in a collaborative culture.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
• Conversational English/Spanish is helpful.
Please send resume and three references to email@example.com with ‘SEASONAL GARDENER’ as subject.