This position possesses skills and knowledge for maintaining the grounds and landscaped areas and does so with moderate to minimum supervision. Must possess and be able to apply a good working knowledge of all aspects of horticulture. Planting, mulching, pruning and general maintenance of flowerbeds and plantings is required. Must be able to perform required park cleanliness tasks such as litter removal and blow downs with minimum supervision. Experience working in a public garden, zoological park, or similar facility is preferred.
• Regular maintenance and installation of gardens, landscaped areas, exhibits, and planters. Eliminate overgrowth and manage natural areas.
• Evaluate and work with senior horticulturist to correct problems with flora related diseases and pests. Works closely with staff and contractor on pest and insect control as needed.
• Responsible for lawn maintenance.
• Removal of snow and ice.
• Responsible for installation of plants to ensure success of growth, meet parks landscaping plan and original design specifications.
• Ability to organize, prioritize and execute safely and efficiently both routine and non-routine work assignments.
• Operates equipment such as tractors, high lifts, fork lifts, trucks and carts.
• Performs (or coordinates as needed) daily litter removal for all outdoor areas.
• Maintains outdoor areas of park as appropriate to ensure a safe and pleasant guest experience.
• Responsible for generation of work requests/and track completion/quality of all assigned work required.
• Provides input into annual landscape plan.
• Maintains accurate records as needed.
The Akron Zoo is a Drug-Free Workplace and an EOE.
This is a full-time, collective bargaining unit position with benefits. Hourly pay rate of $14.40 to $16.40, depending upon experience per union contract. This position work schedule is Thursday through Monday, with Tuesday and Wednesday off.
Interested candidates may submit a cover letter and resume via email, mail or fax to: Human Resources, Akron Zoo, 500 Edgewood Avenue, Akron, OH 44307; fax 330-374-8939; email HR@akronzoo.org. ONLY QUALIFIED CANDIDATES WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE.